4 cyl. performance opinions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 4 cyl. performance opinions

carsarecool
08-02-2004, 07:37 PM
i was wondering what you guys think about the 2.4 engine compared to the v-6, before you modded the car and those of you that havent yet. mines a 99, i havent done anything to the engine other than maintenance yet- i like it for the most part but if i have say, 2 or 3 of my friends in the car (who all weigh over 200 lbs, 2 of them over 280) or even if im alone and just have the a/c on, it seems kinda sluggish- on the other hand it goes pretty well sometimes, like my cousin (who only drives imports) borrowed it a few weeks ago and didnt know it was a 4 cylinder, he said he liked the pickup on it and had good passing power. like, in my moms 3400 alero, doesnt matter how many people are in it or whatever, its still a beast(compared to my car haha) so am i just expecting too much out of a stock engine with an automatic? i drove my friends' 98 stratus and it was pretty peppy for a 4 banger, i think they're lighter too though. i was going to put at least a CAI and maybe a bigger throttle body on it just to offset the lots of passengers/air conditioning power loss. j/w what u guys thought

damaster89
08-03-2004, 11:20 AM
I have sluggish power when the a/c is on everyonce in a while. The car acts like it doesn't want to move very fast. It does have pretty good passing power though

Rich
08-03-2004, 11:21 AM
well i have a 2.4 and know a little bit about it. obviously, the 2.4 wont quite be the same as the V6. if you got a CAI, headers, and aftermarket exhaust you would probably be pretty close to the stock V6 horsepower. and yeah i hate having the ac on cuz you can really feel the sluggishness. you can get a smaller pulley from apoc or customcargrills that i think would help with that. yeah and im fairly positive that we have more hp then civics and what not so that would explain your friend. the 2.4 is quick and many people here beleive that the 2.4/2.2 will start to have a bigger aftermarket then the 3400. even though i dont know a whole lot about cars, im a fan of the 2.4 it is quick and gets me where i need to go.

carsarecool
08-03-2004, 05:54 PM
yeah, its not bad at all, faster than all my buddies' cars so thats all that matters lol. whats with this pulley now? ive heard about those, you just replace the crank pulley with a smaller one but how does that help? i could probly figure it out by thinking about it but...... haha, yeah my cousins 94 integra only has a 2.0 5 spd and a higher redline, but its not a GS-R so i think we might actually be pretty even if we raced

Rich
08-03-2004, 05:59 PM
ummm you would have to search to get the best explanation. im not exactly sure how it works.

urweak
08-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Get the Unorthodox Crank pulley. It is a lightweight pulley that is around 12oz compared to the stock one that weighs a few pounds. What this does is cut down on the parasitic losses your engine has, since you a/c and all the other accessories on your car are run on of your belt that is attached to your crank pulley, and that is connected to the crank in the motor. So this causes more strain on the crank, and then its not able to make the power it could have with this added weight. So using a lighter pulley frees up some HP by it weighing less. Some other mods you might want are a www.induction-dynamics.com intake, some type of exhaust from the down pipe back in ether 2.25 or 2.5 (different people suggest one or the other of the two) you can also buy a header from pacesetter performance. With these 3 or 4 mods you can look to get say 20hp or more. After you do that you can look into other mods, like an HO intake manifold of a LGO 2.3L quad 4 and its 56mm TB (compared to your 52mm TB) then you can do what is known as a secret cam swap, it takes a 95 intake cam from a 2.3 quad 4 and a 90-94 exhaust cam from the 2.3 quad 4, both cams come from the LO version of these engines. You can port the heads and go crazy with anything else you can do to other engines like pistons crank a lot of head work and so on. In addition, check out www.quad4forums.com