2004 GT Coupe Accessory Power Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GT Coupe Accessory Power Question

airic82
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
I just bought a whistler radar detector... and i'm wondering if I can't leave it plugged into the light switch all the time? Should i always pull it out when i turn off the car?

Thanks,
Eric

2000GA
08-02-2004, 07:48 PM
i leave mine plugged in all the time, no problems in the past 3 years

airic82
08-02-2004, 09:15 PM
anybody else? i'm juse worried i'll go out to my brand new car and it won't start...lol even though i know it has that emergency start battery protection thing

iceman
08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Light switch?

02andahalfgt
08-02-2004, 09:30 PM
hard wire it :thumbs:

Mike Jung
08-02-2004, 09:34 PM
anybody else? i'm juse worried i'll go out to my brand new car and it won't start...lol even though i know it has that emergency start battery protection thing

lol

If you leave your radar detector on & plugged in, that rundown protection won't do anything.
The run down protection is just in-case you forget to turn off an interior light, close the glove box, trunk or door.

Turn-off the radar dectector when the car is not running (you can leave it plugged in, as long as it is turned off).

If you continue to leave it on (& it doe not turn off autmatically) & plugged in when the car is not running; you will slowly kill the battery.
One winter morning, you won't be able to start your car.

airic82
08-02-2004, 10:49 PM
thanks

BiHStL
08-02-2004, 11:29 PM
hard wire, its soooooo easy to do, and if you wire it to a fuse thats only on when the car is on acc or on, the radar comes on when you turn the car on. There are directions on how to do it under the mods section.

MikeSilverGT
08-03-2004, 08:18 AM
I don't think the drain is that serious actually, about 2 days ago I left my passport on for 26+ hours with the car off and the car started right up! I was ****ed when I saw that I left it on, but then I have an optima battery so maybe that helped.

Mike Jung
08-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Trust me on this, the AC Delco (stock) battery does not like to be drained ever.
It just kills them.

You got to love those Optima batteries.
I have a Optima Red Top.

When my alternator decided to go bad (only providing 12.0V, not the 14.5V), my Optima still powered my car.
My dash warning light never came on.
It even ran with all my lights on, wipers & AC (this was before I figured out my alternator was under-charging).
I did not have time to get it changed out; so I would put it on the battery charger every night for 30-45 minutes, so I could drive to work & back for a week.
2-years later & my Optima Red Top is still going strong.

Note: the Optima Red Top battery is a starting battery & you should NOT drain them on purpose. If you want deep cycle your battery, then get a Optima Yellow Top battery.