Front End Mystery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front End Mystery

Blak Widow
08-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey everyone, need some advice here. I've seen similar posts on this topic, but wanted to give you specific detail on my situation...

Recently, my car started having this shimmy in the steering wheel around 70+mph or so. So I got 4 new tires (it also did it before the new tires), balanced (twice), and had the rimz checked for bends...everything came out ok. I checked the tie rods and bearings and they are ok. The shimmy is better, but still there. However, I did not get an alignment yet (would this cause a shimmy?)

Also, when I take the tire off, both front end rotors are loose. Is this normal with the tire being off? When the tire is on, they are tight.

Thanks guys...this really sucks!

2003GAGT
08-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Loose rotors are fine when the wheels are off.

The first step you should take is getting an alignment done. When you go to take it to a shop, they should thoroughly check out the suspension and they will probably find something wrong. (I only say this because I used to do alignments and 9 out of 10 cars that came in for alignments needed some sort of suspension work done before the alignment could be completed) If they can't find anything, they will align the car and your problem should be gone.

Blak Widow
08-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Hey, thanks for the advice 2003GAGT! Will have it done this weekend.

Blak Widow
08-04-2004, 06:13 AM
People have been telling me that an bad alignment shouldn't produce a shimmy in the steering wheel...anybody have any insight on this?

tranceokido
08-04-2004, 11:12 AM
You don't think so huh? Well let me tell you what....I drove my Corsica around for about half a year with an extremely bad alignment due to the fact that when I was driving behind a pickup truck, a log fell out onto the road doing 50mph and I couldn't swerve around it because I was a bridge so I ran the ****er over and bent my lower A arm. Well got it fixed but not the alignment..no time nor money. Well that started wearing my tires extremely unevenly...my car started shaking a little. Then...because the alignment was bad and the tires went bad, my strut bearing mount went bad which made my strut go bad. So people may say alignments may not be the problem..but little people know what happens when you let your alignment slide. This ended up costing me a new strut again (but they replaced it under warranty but I had to wait about a year to get my money back.), a strut mount, 2 new front tires. That is about 300 bucks. Should of just paid the damn 40 in the first place and got the alignment done!

nomojo
08-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Wanna know my take?

If you had it balanced at a place that has an automatic balancer (eg one that actually puts the weights on the tire for you), and youve had all the joints, etc inspected and they passed A.OK, then, its probably your rotors.

If you notice a shimmy in the steering wheel, no matter how small, when braking at specific or all speeds, then im saying rotors.

I know. It doesnt make any sense. But its happened on both my 99 and my 03, and its insane. Turn the rotors, and it goes away. I dont know whether its because the caliper keeps the pad crazy-close to the rotor (which might cause slight warpage to rub unevenly ever so slightly on the pad ) or what, but its happened to me time and time again. Its annoying. And I find when its cuz the rotors are slightly out, that the shaking comes and goes (i mean while driving, not braking as you might suspect), almost as though the pads are swelling from heat or dampness or something and making more contact with the rotors more.

Actually, im kinda glad to see someone else here has such a problem with wheel shake. I had to have a nail in my tire fixed a month ago. I cringed. Now, not only have my rotors been turned once at 13,000 km's, ive got a tire that cant be 100% properly balanced.

Anyways. Just my two cents, but im tellin ya, ive had the intermittent shakes on properly balanced tires at least 3 times, and its been rotors every time. GA's are wierd.

post your results.

freeze12
08-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Find a shop that can balance the front Tires on the car as balancing the Tires on the car gives You a better balance.

2003GAGT
08-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Find a shop that can balance the front Tires on the car as balancing the Tires on the car gives You a better balance.
Most shops don't do that these days. The balancers that are out now use a pin plate system that simulates the studs on a car and is extremely accurate. Unfortunately, about 99% of the techs balancing wheels aren't trained properly and don't use the pin plates to balance the wheels.

Kdawg207
08-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Being you drive a GA...I'm saying rotors...lol

Join the crew

Blak Widow
08-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Do I just take off the tires and turn the rotors? That easy?

nomojo
08-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Do I just take off the tires and turn the rotors? That easy?

Errmm.

Maybe i read that wrong, and if so, sorry, but I get the feeling you misinterpreted the use of the word 'turn'.

You need to have the rotors resurfaced at a shop. This is referred to as turning them. Your local GM dealer should have the tools to test the rotors ON the car, so that they only resurface the ones that need them.

If you knew that, then my bad :)

Cyaz

tranceokido
08-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Errmm.

Maybe i read that wrong, and if so, sorry, but I get the feeling you misinterpreted the use of the word 'turn'.

You need to have the rotors resurfaced at a shop. This is referred to as turning them. Your local GM dealer should have the tools to test the rotors ON the car, so that they only resurface the ones that need them.

If you knew that, then my bad :)

Cyaz

That reminds me...one of my computer teachers told someone to erase the files on a disk when computers first came out. The kid took an eraser and tried to erease the files off of it. Wasn't to successfull. LOL.