A/C Fuse blows whenever compressor is turned on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C Fuse blows whenever compressor is turned on

me3head
08-03-2004, 09:47 AM
I was driving down the highway last week, and my AC, which had just been recharged went out. I thought that I had a leak.

Later on the drive, I hit some stop and go traffic, and the car overheated.

It turns out that my AC compressor fse was blown, and any new fuse put in blows as soon as the A/C is turned on. I think that this also causes the fans not to work, and that is how the car overheated.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be related to the re-charge (ie hey shorted something out when they did it)

If this has been covered before, I could not find it, so I appologize if it has.

Mike

zerogman
08-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Hmmm... well, did your check engine light come on? If the computer detects something wrong, it will 99% of the time put that stupid thing on. As for your fans going out, they are not on the same circuit, so one going out will not affect the other directly. As for the one thing that's coming to mind is that maybe your system is clogged and the pump tries to over-come this, blows itself, and because of the condesor no longer functioning then, the condensor will block half of your radiator. Although, that is just a long-shot guess because I can't actually see the car! The best thing you can do is go to the people who recharged it and tell them what happened after they recharged it.

The other option is, you are from Detroit too, so if you got time, I'd be more then happy to look at it. I have every tool basically except for jackstands, a cherry picker, nor an A/C Recharger/Recycler. Anywho, that's just an option if you don't want to have to pay for a repair if they make you. I know I won't be able to recycle your refrigerant if that is needed, but at least we could pin point the problem! Anywho, hope I was of help.

- Zero

tenspeed
08-09-2004, 05:54 AM
It turns out that my AC compressor fuse was blown, and any new fuse I put in blows as soon as the A/C is turned on. I think that this also causes the fans not to work, and that is how the car overheated.

Sounds like the A/C electric clutch has a short. You may have to replace the compressor or just the clutch. Check out www.rockauto.com for parts.

me3head
08-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Sounds like the A/C electric clutch has a short. You may have to replace the compressor or just the clutch. Check out www.rockauto.com for parts.

Well, it turns out that the coolant temp sensor for the PCM was reading -40 (broken) and thus the fans never kicked in. Also, the AC compressor is shot. I had the freon taken out of the system.

Funny thing is: unless there is an unblown fuse in the AC compressor circuit, the fans still do not kick in. When there is a good fuse in there, everything works good (except the AC, of course, since I had it emptied).

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the fan circuit so I can see how this fuse is related?