Noise Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Noise Problem

toms
08-04-2004, 05:51 AM
My 2001 Grand AM GT has 2700 miles (very low mileage). A noise problem started to occur after 1000 miles. When I start the car, I hear the noise coming from the dashboard area. When I press the accelerator, the noise gets louder. The dealership put in a new alternator and that didn't work. I took the car back again and they put in a new battery and that did'nt resolve the problem. I took the car back again and they told me this is a normal problem for all Grand Ams. (I assume he meant 2001 Grand Am GT's). Kind of odd they would replace the alternator and battery and then tell me later this is a normal problem. The dealership won't do anything further to address this problem.

I contacted Pontiac customer assistance as directed by the owners manual when a problem cannot be resolved by the dealership. Customer assistance contacted the dealership and obtained their explanation. Customer assistance then decided to take no futher action based on the dealership's explanation. I tried to talk to a manager or someone higher in Pointiac customer assistance, but they would not direct me to anyone.

I talked to a few people about this problem. They thought the alternator is not
able to handle the amperage/power. Another person says the problem is noise interface from the alternator.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how I should go about resolving this
problem? Pontiac has left me very disatisfied with their service.

Blak Widow
08-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Does the noise get more frequent went you go over a bump? Does it sound mechanical or more like something is loose?

Kdawg207
08-04-2004, 06:27 AM
could be piston slap and you think the noise is coming from the dash....do you hear it outside the car?

toms
08-04-2004, 09:35 AM
The noise is constant and has nothing to do with driving the car over a bump.

It sounds mechanical rather than something is loose.

I don't hear the noise when outside of the car.