Is there a warranty on the Paint ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a warranty on the Paint ?

IMICEMAN
08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Today I noticed a large chunk of paint missing from the front "lip" of my hood.

I pop the hood and it seems that the "seam" just under the lip of the hood has somehow rusted and the paint is flaking off !!!!!

There is NO rust on this car anywhere else and it is WELL taken care of, so would this be considered a DEFECT that could be repainted under warranty ?

I will be visiting the dealer bodyshop tomorrow and asking them the same question.

Has anyone else got something like this repaired under warranty ? (if one exists).

Also, I would love to have the SCT hood, but at $ 2337 Canadian, I rather doubt it would cost as much to just repaint the M#$F*& !!

Sleepwalkr
08-05-2004, 12:00 PM
My brother-in-law has been a bodyman for years and he told me that paint is often covered even after the typical warranty has expired. I'm not sure about it though. I kinda hope it is cuz my wife's Sonata has minor orange peel on the trunk and I wanna get it re-done.

IMICEMAN
08-05-2004, 07:11 PM
I just visited the dealer's body shop today.
I am 2300 Km OVER my factory warranty 60,000 Km.

They told me that they would normally repaint/fix this under a warranty repair for free.
In my case, since I am just lately out of warranty, I will have to cover the first 100.00 only out of the 450.00 job.

What a racket, eh ?!

Cnix16
08-05-2004, 08:10 PM
there should be a 6 year warranty on rust

'01GTgirl
08-05-2004, 08:22 PM
heh, i wish it was covered. my hood (bought and painted at the dealer) had chips, peelings, scratches all within the first couple months of getting it. they wouldn't repaint it for me unless i paid again...F that. the touch up paint is doin okay for now...$6 is much better than $300 :rolleyes:

OneFastGT
08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
I have a white 00' GT. I noticed yesterday while washing the car that the hood had spreckels of dirt and rust on it. It's permenantly embedded in the paint. I tried buffing it with no luck. It looks as if the hood is a weak link for the paint dept. Not to mention the previous owner had problems with the paint also. I noticed almost a dozen spots that had been touched up.

preed4962
08-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Try using a clay bar on the speckles of rust and dirt. Chances are that the 'rust' spots you are seeing is whats called 'rail dust', its fine iron particles from railroad tracks that get on the paint from when the car was originally transported.

-Paul

Molson
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
there should be a 6 year warranty on rust
thats rust-through. It must rust a hole right though the panel.