Engine Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Problems

mikeljohnson03
08-04-2004, 09:36 PM
I had my intake gasket changed about 2 weeks ago and ever since i had it changed my car has been acting real weird. For example sometimes when i first start it during the day it will just start then kill unless i step on the gas and rev it up and then shift to the gear i want to be in. It only does it when it first gets started or when its been running for a while then i shut it off and restart it or after i get done putting gas in. About a week after i got the car back the service engine soon light came on. So naturally i took it back to the shop and asked the mechanic to check it out, so he hooked the computer up to it and he figured it out to be the alternator. Well after that i went and got a different alternator and put it on. Well that only worked for about 2 days then i got the same problems again so this time i unhooked the battery to reset the computer hoping that would work but it didn`t so now i`m trying to figure out what it is. I know its not the battery because i just got a new battery about 3 or 4 months ago and a battery doesn`t go out that fast at least i never thought it did. Also could it be that my stereo system is making my car act like this i meen taking out my alternator or whatever keeps going out that fast because its not even that big of a system its only 1200 watts but when its up loud it does make my lights dim. If anyone knows how to fix this please help because i am all out of ideas. PLEASE HELP I`M SICK OF SEEING THAT STUPID LIGHT AND MY CAR RUNNING LIKE CRAP.

mikeljohnson03
08-05-2004, 08:15 PM
I had my intake gasket changed about 2 weeks ago and ever since i had it changed my car has been acting real weird. For example sometimes when i first start it during the day it will just start then kill unless i step on the gas and rev it up and then shift to the gear i want to be in. It only does it when it first gets started or when its been running for a while then i shut it off and restart it or after i get done putting gas in. About a week after i got the car back the service engine soon light came on. So naturally i took it back to the shop and asked the mechanic to check it out, so he hooked the computer up to it and he figured it out to be the alternator. Well after that i went and got a different alternator and put it on. Well that only worked for about 2 days then i got the same problems again so this time i unhooked the battery to reset the computer hoping that would work but it didn`t so now i`m trying to figure out what it is. I know its not the battery because i just got a new battery about 3 or 4 months ago and a battery doesn`t go out that fast at least i never thought it did. Also could it be that my stereo system is making my car act like this i meen taking out my alternator or whatever keeps going out that fast because its not even that big of a system its only 1200 watts but when its up loud it does make my lights dim. If anyone knows how to fix this please help because i am all out of ideas. PLEASE HELP I`M SICK OF SEEING THAT STUPID LIGHT AND MY CAR RUNNING LIKE CRAP.

I could really use some help here guys.

mfuller
08-05-2004, 08:37 PM
It sounds like a fueling problem to me. When replacing the lower intake manifold gasket, you must remove the fuel rail/injectors from the LIM......it's possible that an injector got clogged or is not firing from a rushed re-install....I'd start there.

mikeljohnson03
08-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks I`ll try looking at that, but where exactally is it located at on the engine and how would you test it to see if that is the problem. Post back and let me know as soon as you possibly could. It would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else has any ideas on what it could be please post and let me know because i am absolutely stumped on this one.

mfuller
08-05-2004, 09:34 PM
The best course of action would be to take it to the place that replaced the gasket for you....they should be able to use a scan tool to check if the injectors are firing right. If not, have your local GM dealer do it. They can also check for trouble codes which will help to isolate the problem.

mikeljohnson03
08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Ok i took it back to the guy who worked on it again today and he hooked the computer up to it and the code that we got was something to do with EVAP so we did a fuel pressure check on it and the fuel pressure was at 30 with the key to on and while the car was running it was somewhere between 30 and 35 a steady number just not exactally sure what the number was i didn`t get a good look at it when it was running. But anyways we ended up cleaning the throttle body with fuel injection cleaner crap. It seemed to work for a while but tonight after i put gas in it just did the same thing but it didn`t turn the SES light on this time. I even told him to check out the fuel rail/injector but he didn`t think that was the problem so he didn`t do anything with that. So any new ideas or do you still think i should get the fuel rail/injectors checked out still. I also heard something about gas caps doing this. Is there any truth to that? I was also thinking about just picking up some fuel injection cleaner stuff from wal-mart and using that to try and fix the problem. If i used the fuel injection cleaner from wal-mart the stuff that you put in your gas tank, wouldn`t that clean the rail/ injectors if that was the problem? Well get back at me and let me know.

mikeljohnson03
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Any ideas yet?