To flush or not to flush? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : To flush or not to flush?

VaGT
08-05-2004, 07:19 AM
I am about 400 miles shy of 50K. My dealer has recommended the BG transmission flush for $189 (labor rate here is over $80 an hour). He would NOT be changing the filter or dropping the pan for that price. He said that the flush, back flushes the filter, so I would not need to change that until 100K.

If I was to do it myself (with help) by taking off the return valve, adding new until it ran clean, and even drop the pan and change the filter, it would be cheaper. It just wouldn't get as clean as it would if it were flushed. This area can be hard on trasmissions with the 90+ days sitting in traffic (sometimes for hours) in the work commute, so I am leaning towards the full flush.

Is it worth the money?

VaGT
08-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Wow, nobody has an opinion?

JHawk GT
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Iíve got one :D I flushed (w/ T-tec and no flushing agent) my tranny at 7K miles and put in Redline D4 ATF. Iím going to do it every 20K miles. I didnít drop the pan and replace the filter, but Iím going to do that after each flush in the future. It may be overkill, but itís only a few bucks extra. Iím just not entirely convinced that flushing actually cleans the filter. Also, I donít like the idea of putting a harsh solvent that cleans quickly into the systemódonít want large crap getting stuck somewhere. Synthetic (especially Group V) cleans gently and good enough. For a tranny with your mileage on factory fill, Iíd definitely want to see whatís in the pan and look at the filter.

I thought this (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000383) was an informative thread. I also use Lube Control (www.lubecontrol.com/) at the treat rate of 1oz. every 10K miles to further keep oxidation at bay.

AznGA
08-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Ok, I heard draining worn out tranny particles isn't good for tranny..is that true?