Trans Cooler Placement? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trans Cooler Placement?

Doctor Ouchie
08-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I went thread searching and couldn't find where you guys normally install the transcooler. I was wondering if you mount it on the very front of the radiator, or between the a/c condensor and radiator, or between the radiator and fan?

I'm guessing most of you mount on the front of the radiator, but do you mount that near the bottom? Left or right? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, I just want something that looks good when it's all said and done;)

Also, I bought a Hayden Automotive cooler, but I'm not sure if it's the same one you guys use. The part number on the box is "242016" (Imperial Econ-o-kool). It's GVW rating is pretty high (second highest on the chart). Everyone with the Hayden's cooler mentions the #401 model. Think I'd be kosher with this one?

mfuller
08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
I have mine attached to the bottom of the A/C condensor on the passenger side. The bottom of the cooler is held in by two sheet metal screws, while the top is sorta wedged between the bumper and the condensor with a piece of foam cushioning. The cooler lines run through 2 holes I drilled in the front air dam - you can barely see it, but it works very well.

BTW, it's a B&M Racing Supercooler rated for vehicles up to 28,000GWR.

Doctor Ouchie
08-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, went and checked the box (using a library computer, home PC's down) and it's the "404" cooler from Hayden's-rated for class c vehicles towing up to 5,000 lbs. Everyone here's installed the 401, which is the smallest they make. Think I'd be safe installing this? I won't be seeing much cold weather with the car. I'm slightly worried it'll rob too much airflow from the radiator/a/c condensor (the cooler is: 3/4" W, 7 1/2" H, 15 1/2" L, core 12"). Is this thing overkill?

I might end up installing it behind the radiator and condensor, install guide rates that placement for %65 efficiency?

Doctor Ouchie
08-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Mr. mfuller, is 28,000 lbs GWR class C? Can't find a table with weight classifications anywhere.

mfuller
08-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Mr. mfuller, is 28,000 lbs GWR class C? Can't find a table with weight classifications anywhere.
I don't know what class it is......all I know is it's the biggest, highest capacity oil cooler B&M makes.

Doctor Ouchie
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Alright, did you mount the cooler in front of the radiator? In between the rad and the a/c condensor, or behind both? The installation guide the efficiency of the trans cooler behind the two at 65% efficiency. I might end up going that way since this is Hayden's 2nd largest cooler, unless you've got any reccomendations;)

blackramair
08-06-2004, 10:18 PM
mine is mounted in front of the radiator similar to a front mount intercooler. hayden makes a good cooler. the 401 is what i am using and am very happy with it.

snwman
08-07-2004, 05:48 PM
I just installed a hayden cooler in a friends grand am. Dont remember the part number maybe he will post it up here, but it was IDENTICAL to the b&m supercooler that I have which is 16,000 gvw. they both even have canada printed on them.... I wonder if hayden and b&m are buying these cooler from another company in canada and reselling them?