Help removing P/S [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help removing P/S

TheShizzy
08-06-2004, 08:37 AM
I need to remove my power steering, but I cant get to the three bolts becuase of the pulley and I cant take out the motor mount. Maybe Im missing something, but please, anybody have any suggestions??

zerogman
08-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Ummm... I don't know how the mount is setup on the '95, but if you have to remove it, support the oil pan with a jack and a block of wood on it so the jack doesn't hurt the pan. If you take some of the weight off of the mounts, that is good enough. Since you should add the mount back on once you finish removing the pump.

As for removing the pump... notice there are holes in the pulley... remove the belt and rotate the pulley to each bolt and remove them one at a time. The pump should just slide upwards. Remember to drain the system as well because it's not fun spilling fluids all over the place, at least for me because it made a mess in my garage space... That's another story though...

- Zero

P.s. Why are you removing the P/S pump?

Pacman
08-09-2004, 01:26 AM
P.s. Why are you removing the P/S pump?

i'd like to know as well

TheShizzy
08-09-2004, 07:39 AM
3400 top end swap. :metal:

I think im having problems because the motor mount bracket i guess you would call it is in the way, and i cant reach any of the bolts. But ill try it again today. Thanks

Green99GT
08-09-2004, 09:47 PM
the pulley should have holes...get the bolts out though them....thats how i did it

99GTPOS
08-27-2004, 06:42 AM
I just replaced my pump last week. After you take the belt off, remove the cruise control module and the coolant reservoir. The top two bolts will come out by rotating the pulley to the correct position. The bottom bolt sucks... I had to jack the motor up and remove the mount to get to it. Not that big of a deal- just use the wood under the pan like suggested above. The only other option is a universal joint swivel socket, but the bolts are tough to get back in. I wouldn't want to try to start that bottom bolt with a swivel- you're just asking to cross thread it. Note that you must remove 1 bolt at a time, and when you put it back together you have to put each one in at a time, nearly all the way so the pulley will clear the bolt head and rotate to the next hole. Start with the bottom one when putting it back together... trust me on this.

99GTPOS
08-27-2004, 06:44 AM
One other thing...
If you have a pulley puller, it might be easier to take the pulley off before remounting the pump and then press it back on in the car after you have your line torqued up. If you have the motor raised on that side it should be possible to do this (but I didn't try it... wished I would have after fighting with the PS pump bolts!)