ECM Location [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ECM Location

bobojr1
08-07-2004, 06:20 AM
undefined Hola, everyone. I'm a newbie with a big problem. I've been trying to replace the ECM on my car, but there is one problem, I can't figure out where the control module goes. I keep coming across this big sliver box that is supposedly the ECM, but the part I have is a long black piece of plastic with a huge computer chip in it. Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong because I don't wan't to waste the money on a mechanic.

zerogman
08-08-2004, 11:34 PM
The big silver box is the PCM probably... (Powertrain Control Module) It's basically the brain of your car. The ECM though, I have no clue what you are referring to when a car already has a PCM. Maybe I am just getting the cars confused because mine is a '01. The "brain" for your car is a box underneath the dash on the drivers side. You will need to remove the panels to get at it. I still can't think of what you are referring to though when you say you got a long black plastic piece with a computer chip in it. Are there any hoses on it, or electrical connections? A pic of it would be great because I am only guessing as to what it is by a very vague description.

- Zero