Brake calipers again!!?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake calipers again!!??

tammikm
08-08-2004, 04:02 AM
I just had my entire front brakes replaces becuse of the annoying creaking/popping noise from the calipers. they were great for 1 month now its back again, what causes this noise when coming to a stop? is it the brake dust getting into the seals around the piston slides? my mechanic says he will replace the calipers under warrenty again, but is it really necessary? there must be an easier fix than just replacing the calipers. do we really need to clean and grease our calipers once a month to prevent this noise?

thanks

Molson
08-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Well, mone always creaked, lube the slides, and its good for a while, but I noticed when I did my brakes last weekend that the piston creaked and I was pushing it back in. So may be bad calipers.

IMICEMAN
08-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Ok, I believe it has been answered before, but here goes.

The brake assembly is made of two different metals. The caliper is aluminum and the bracket is steel. The difference in the expansion/contraction rates between the two metals causes "gaps" that, once the brakes are applied (vehicle in motion or not), will cause creaking.

Fixes: Having fat rotors and new fat pads - as this "shores-up" any gaps so that the other parts don't have much room to even create a gap and creak.

GM knows about this already and is not going to fix it.
Trust me, I have been over this (as have many others here) with the dealer and short of getting aftermarket calipers you're gonna have to live with the terrible creaking.

jimfc29
08-09-2004, 06:22 PM
I think these brakes have at least two issues. The first is that they are under sized for the car. The GP which is only 300 lbs heavier has larger rotors. The second problem is a poor caliper design. The GA front caliper design uses a cantilvered slide design, instead of a two sided support system you tend to see. The calipers will actually twist about the rotor when you press the brake pedal. This twisting eventually causes the slide to permanately bend, causing a good part of the noise problems.
I have replaced my brake rotors several time. The last time was with power slots, and they did last much longer than the standard after marked rotors. I now have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors, but I am not very hopefull. If these goes I may look at after marked calipers, to see if that helps. Otherwise I will get rid of the car.

RAPTOR
08-10-2004, 04:45 AM
i had the same issue,buy a can of silicone spray,take the caliper off have someone push the caliper out spray it,push it back in with a c clamp and repeat this several times on each side,my brakes have never sounded so good.my buddy at GM told me to do this.

eren00gt
08-11-2004, 11:15 AM
i had the same issue,buy a can of silicone spray,take the caliper off have someone push the caliper out spray it,push it back in with a c clamp and repeat this several times on each side,my brakes have never sounded so good.my buddy at GM told me to do this.

How were you able to do this? The piston has a sealed rubber boot around it to keep crap out.

RAPTOR
08-11-2004, 11:52 AM
just pull the boot back,no need to remove it

eren00gt
08-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I didn't think that the boot was that easily pulled back?

RAPTOR
08-11-2004, 02:15 PM
yes it is,just use something that has a point to it,get under the boot,and it pulls right away from the piston.have someone pump the pedal until that piston is way out there,spray the crap out of it,push it back in with a c clamp,and repeat two or three times.you will be very happy with the outcome

eren00gt
08-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks, i'll give it a try. I hope it works I REALLY hate that damn creaking, it is so loud.

RAPTOR
08-12-2004, 08:09 AM
yes i know,i brought my car in to GM i could not take it anymore.but my buddy was working that day and he hooked me up with some advice,and saved me some money to,and the brake's have been great all from alittle spray unreal.i wonder how much money GM makes off this little fix

IMICEMAN
08-12-2004, 08:46 AM

How long does this last ?
(....how long before the creaking problem returns ?)

HotLikeFire
08-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Not to jack the thread...

But what exactly does it sound like when a caliper 'creaks'?

When Im braking to a stop and at the very end of the braking, my brakes make a loud like creaky sticking rubbing type sound, not high pitched though... and it happens when I let off the brake as well.. is this the same issue you're talking about in this thread?

RAPTOR
08-12-2004, 09:30 AM
the piston gets hung up inside the caliper so when you apply the brake pedal it's working overtime to push that pad on the rotor.hard to tell you how it sounds but it's a nasty sound and it's very loud,alittle spray in there and that nasty sound is history.my advise to all even if there is no sound coming from the brakes do this anyway it takes about 1/2 an hour to do both side.the hard part is jacking the car up and pulling the tire off

tammikm
08-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Not to jack the thread...

But what exactly does it sound like when a caliper 'creaks'?

When Im braking to a stop and at the very end of the braking, my brakes make a loud like creaky sticking rubbing type sound, not high pitched though... and it happens when I let off the brake as well.. is this the same issue you're talking about in this thread?

Thats the creaking! Im gonna print this thread and take it to my mechanic.

RAPTOR
08-12-2004, 01:06 PM
yes that is what it sounds like,you hit the nail right on the head.just buy the silicone spray and do it,your brake noise will be gone.i would not tell you this if i had not done this on my own car.and a GM tech of 15 years on the job told me to do it

HotLikeFire
08-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Okay just there is nothing WRONG with the brakes, I just have to buy the spray, pull my tires off and spray that under where the caliper clamps onto the rotor? Or where? becuse remember I know NOTHING about brakes (or cars) so Im not sure where im supposed to be spraying this stuff or how or what.. ??

HotLikeFire
08-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Ok, I believe it has been answered before, but here goes.

The brake assembly is made of two different metals. The caliper is aluminum and the bracket is steel. The difference in the expansion/contraction rates between the two metals causes "gaps" that, once the brakes are applied (vehicle in motion or not), will cause creaking.

Fixes: Having fat rotors and new fat pads - as this "shores-up" any gaps so that the other parts don't have much room to even create a gap and creak.

GM knows about this already and is not going to fix it.
Trust me, I have been over this (as have many others here) with the dealer and short of getting aftermarket calipers you're gonna have to live with the terrible creaking.

Are after market calipers pretty expensive? I plan to do a whole brake job.. new cross drilled rotors, ceramic pads, and I guess I could add new calipers to them as well if they are not too spendy. What about the rear brakes? Is it necessary to do those as well since the noise is really only coming from the front?

eren00gt
08-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Okay just there is nothing WRONG with the brakes, I just have to buy the spray, pull my tires off and spray that under where the caliper clamps onto the rotor? Or where? becuse remember I know NOTHING about brakes (or cars) so Im not sure where im supposed to be spraying this stuff or how or what.. ??

No you actually have to pull the caliper off, take pads off then push the brake pedal so the piston comes out of the caliper. Then pull the rubber boot back and spray the piston itself, reinstall the rubber boot and push the piston back in with a c clamp. If you are unsure about it, do you know someone that could help you?

Also I found I can get reman calipers from advanced auto for about 30 bucks each. They are Cardone brand with warranty, but I am going to try anything I can to fix mine until nothing works then I will replace. But this new method from Raptor seems like a real possible long term fix.

HotLikeFire
08-12-2004, 02:14 PM
No you actually have to pull the caliper off, take pads off then push the brake pedal so the piston comes out of the caliper. Then pull the rubber boot back and spray the piston itself, reinstall the rubber boot and push the piston back in with a c clamp. If you are unsure about it, do you know someone that could help you?

Haha, im totally unsure about it. Do I know someone who could help me? Yes, would they? who knows. Thanks though. :)

eren00gt
08-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Haha, im totally unsure about it. Do I know someone who could help me? Yes, would they? who knows. Thanks though. :)

Why wouldn't they help ya? Maybe you just hafta sweetin the deal a little. :)

HotLikeFire
08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Well ... seeing how it would be my dad (who has little time) sweeting the deal is not an option as it would not be with my brother as well (who also has little time and patience for helping me with my car). I guess I could ask around.

eren00gt
08-12-2004, 03:07 PM
If I lived a little closer I would help, but oh well.

HotLikeFire
08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Yea Iowa is a whole state away.
Thats okay, i'll figure it out.
Tonight on my way home while stuck in traffic they started to make a really highpitched screetch. So I am thinking they need new pads anyways. The GM dealer told me he put new brakes on my car before I bought it (like 4 months ago). I can't imagine why they would be squeeking already too. :nono:

eren00gt
08-13-2004, 04:49 AM
What? I couldn't imagine a dealer would lie about something like that. lol

brim
08-13-2004, 08:36 AM
i've got incredibly similar problems as well

i had no trouble until i got new pads and rotors up front however

but now I'm having the popping problem as well as a constant squeal slowing down from around 15-0

I'll take a look into this ask some guy at work too, silicon spray you said? where can i pick it up?

eren00gt
08-13-2004, 10:37 AM
I just got back from the local advanced auto store and got a can for 2.65 but I bet you could get it at walmart or other store just happens that advanced auto is the closest for me.

HotLikeFire
08-13-2004, 10:41 AM
What? I couldn't imagine a dealer would lie about something like that. lol

hey now. I asked my dad last night if he would help me and he agreed. He still wants to know why they make that noise though, :rolleyes:

freshvoice
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
GM parts suck sometimes. Brakes especially.
Get a Baer brake upgrade. that'll fix it all.. $1300.00

eren00gt
08-13-2004, 01:27 PM
hey now. I asked my dad last night if he would help me and he agreed. He still wants to know why they make that noise though, :rolleyes:

I did the silicone spray trick and so far so good but I haven't driven it that far, so time will tell. As for your screeching noise with supposed 4 month old brakes it might be a caliper that is sticking and thus wearing it down faster. Look and compare both sides and see if they are wearing evenly.

The silicone spray thing was so easy, the rubber boot slides down real easy. Then I just used a small screwdriver to pull up the boot enough to get the little spray tube inside and lubed her up. The real test will be when we get a good rain cause it has always returned with other fixes I tried after things get real wet.

Good luck to ya Jessi

Oh and freshvoice, I can think of a thousand other things I would do before spending $1300 on brakes for a GA, but thanks for the input.