Steering column pop? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering column pop?

Hexx
08-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey all,
Ok ok....so there are 3u52739427375 posts about popping after installing springs....

Mine popped....I didnt care...I knew what it was from. Some say it can be caused from bad mounts (strut mounts) and some say just grease them up.

Well today I got around to greasing them up (~5K miles after the install...).

The popping has decreased. Stuts are fine. There is still some popping BUT I think it may be from my steering column.

I guess this is a question for the guys that are riding stock height or brand new cars or 00GAGTs (and SEs I guess) that arent lowered.....is there any popping noise when you turn?

I cant remember if there was any sound (even the littlest) before my Eibach install.

just wondering if I fixed my problem or not.

tranceokido
08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
I don't have any popping sound. Sorry man...popping doesn't sound right.

AznGA
08-08-2004, 05:07 PM
It only pops when you turn the wheel?

Hexx
08-08-2004, 05:37 PM
It only pops when you turn the wheel?
Yep. Standing still even. Its prob my mounts...ya think so too?

cavingman
08-08-2004, 05:43 PM
strut bearing plates maybe

AznGA
08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Wait, it also pops when standing still with steering wheel straightened?

Hexx
08-08-2004, 06:16 PM
strut bearing plates maybe

Yeah thats what I was refering to...thats the part that bolts onto the car itself right?

I greased them up today and they turn fine. I dunno...it doesnt seem damaging...just annoying but I can deal with it.

Do the KYB struts come with new tops?

I was hoping it was the steering column making SOME of the noise. It def doesnt pop as loud or much.

Hexx
08-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Ok so its not really a pop noise. Its just noise. Not annoying anymore. Is your car (any of you) completely quiet when you turn the wheel? While in park?