Installing rear view mirror w/lights... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear view mirror w/lights...

K2737
08-09-2004, 07:46 PM
My car didn't come with a mirror with lights and I wanted them so I bought one that did. Now I imagine if I take the headliner off I can tap into the wires for my dome light. Does anyone know what wire is the constant power, what wire is the on when doors are open and ground I guess would be the third. Thanks in afvance guys

K2737
08-10-2004, 07:23 PM
So I tried wirring the lights up tonight but since i don't know what any of the wires were I just messed around till something worked. So now they only come on when the door is open, and when the door is open I can turn them on or off. And if i wire it another way they will stay on when the door is open whether the button is pushed or not, but I can't get them to come on when the door is shut. Any ideas?

tenspeed
08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
I added a lighted mirror on my 02 GA. I can help you out.

One wire is 12VDC all the time. One is 12VDC when the light should be out and is about 3VDC when the light is on and the third is a ground.

The constant 12VDC wire is at one end of the lamp. The other end of the lamp is controlled by the switch. The ground is used when the lamp is turned on with the switch and the varying voltage wire gives you the theatre dimming when the door closes.

Check out www.grandimpressions.net - they're out of Rochester NY

02andahalfgt
08-10-2004, 10:06 PM
Tenspeed: Do you know if a monochromatic mirror can be hooked up in place of the stock one? Headlight glare kills me. I started a thread but got no replies. I don't know how they work, so I don't know if there are any other wires to deal with. Thanks.

Sorry to jack your thread k2737.

Dan00GPGT
08-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Monochromatic mirror uses a couple wires.

Power, ground, and one to turn off the dimming feature when the car is put in reverse. It can be added to any car, the sensor for the lights is in the mirror so all it would need is power and ground if you wanted to not hook up the reverse wire.

02andahalfgt
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Where would I run the extra wires? Could I run them off the existing ones, or would I have to run all new wires?

tenspeed
08-11-2004, 08:19 PM
I was able to send a fish from the dome light to the mirror area. I went to the left of the cubby and pulled in a small three wire conductor. You could use something like phone cord. There's not much current so it doesn't have to be too big.

K2737
08-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks tenspeed, I will try again tonight and see if I can figure it out....if not I will be back in rochester in september and maybe you can help me out. I will also check out that site thanks.

EDIT: So i went back and rewired it and i get the same thing. Comes on when door opens but now when door is closed. I dunno, I must be doing something wrong. any ideas?

Dan00GPGT
08-13-2004, 07:20 AM
There is an orange wire that feeds your dome light. This wire is the output that turns on the interior lights from the BCM. You need to connect the orange wire to the black/white wire of the rearview mirror. That is the input wire on the mirror. The other two wires on the mirror are ground. Both wires are black. The black wire FURTHEST from the black/white wire is the constant ground. That wire should be connected to the cars chassis at all times. The other black wire that is right next to the black/white wire in the mirror harness should be attached to the white wire that comes out of the dome light.

Hope that helps.

K2737
08-14-2004, 01:36 PM
I had the ground messed up. Everything works fine now. Thanks Dan and tenspeed :thumbs: