60,000 mile maintenance question. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 60,000 mile maintenance question.

MegaHyp
08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Well the Grand Am is soon going to turn 60,000 miles and i was wondering what i should be looking to do. I heard a tranny flush is a good idea, but what about the coolant? its been 5 years. anything else?

K2737
08-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Fuel filter maybe? If it hasnt been changed yet.

Intuit57
08-10-2004, 02:04 AM
I got a new Gatorback belt when my car was that age as well as a coolant flush, tranny fluid/filter change, power steering fluid flush n fill(it was dirty), fuel filter and new plugs & wires. I also regularly get the injectors cleaned(where they hang a bottle).

I've had SO much wrong with this car(under warranty + extended warranty) that I'm doing everything I can to maintain it...I don't go by what the owners manual tells me.

You ask what repairs I've had done?!
rebuilt tranny, radio, auto light sensor, tail light electrical panel wet n shorting out..replaced, turn signal relay switch(3x's), they replaced the whole turn signal assembly another time, sunroof motor, door locks, lower intake gasket, brakes(I'll try not to rant about them!), calipers, spring, fuel pump, water pump and I'm likely forgetting something!

AndyVTek
08-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Well the Grand Am is soon going to turn 60,000 miles and i was wondering what i should be looking to do. I heard a tranny flush is a good idea, but what about the coolant? its been 5 years. anything else?

Tranny flush is debate-able. I don't think it's needed. People usually check their plugs and wires, which should be ok still. I think plugs and wires are good for 100,000+ miles. Should just be more routine maitenance, like cleaning your air filter, etc.

Treviathon
08-10-2004, 10:28 AM
according to GM...

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/maintenance/goodwrench/gw_usingguide.html

iceman
08-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Fuel filter, pcv, plugs, air filter, trans fluid change, coolant flush and change, top-end cleaner, injectors cleaned (not gas additive, real cleaner) all don't hurt..

carsarecool
08-10-2004, 08:42 PM
the injector flush- i read (on here) that can be real good for the car or it can dislodge little particles in the fuel delivery system if it hasent been done in a while. also, ive heard not to bring it to jiffy lube cause they just put a bunch of additive in the tank, and to take it to the dealer. haha, i asked the guy at hoffman's jiffy lube and he said NOT to take it to the dealer(of course) and said they actually hook up a bottle of cleaner to the engine and run it through plus putting something in the tank, for $59.95. good deal?

danielcastro
05-15-2007, 05:09 PM
how can i do steering flush and fill???

Bryan
05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Turkey baster.