Manual Transmission Reverse problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Reverse problem

GM_MAN
08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Hello All,

I have a 2001 GrandAm SE, 4 cyl. and 5-speed manual transmission. To put the transmission in reverse there's switch you have to pull on the stick shift to get it to go into reverse. Mine for some reason quit working. I can get the car into reverse, but I have to force it, and hold the stick in reverse, otherwise it will pop out of reverse if I let go.

Also, I'm not supposed to be able to park the car and remove the key unless it's in reverse. Well, now I can remove the key if the car is not in reverse.

Anyone have any ideas? How difficult is it to work on this type of thing??

Thanks!!

GM_MAN
08-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Ok so I took the car to the dealer and they said the problem was with the shifter, so they replaced it. This did solve the problem, however, now the shifting feels weird.

Neutral is not exactly level now. Neutral should be at exactly the same level, i.e. the stick shift should be able to move back and forth in the neutral position from the far left (1st and second gear) to the far right (5th and reverse). However, when I go over to 5th or reverse, the neutral position is slightly higher for these two gears than it is for 1st through 4th. I have to move the stick shift slightly in an upward direction in order to get it over to 5th or reverse. Does that make sense?

So the question is, does anyone know if the shifter for this car is a singular unit which just gets insalled as one component? Or does installation of the shifter require installing more than one component? If it's only one component, then perhaps my new shifter got screwed up in the manufacturing process. (Trying to determine if this problem is a result of the manufacturing of the shifter, or if it's something to do with a stupid machanic who worked on my car). HELP!!! :vomit:

tenspeed
08-19-2004, 09:29 PM
You had to dealer fix the problem and it's not working right. Go back to the dealer to get it adjusted.

zx7ninja
08-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Hmmm....odd. I don't have that problem in my car.
That having to pull up to get into reverse in annoying sometimes, thoug. But you get used to it.

tenspeed
08-20-2004, 09:57 AM
That's the problem is that not many have the manual transmission and few have any kind of problem with the linkage. There's little advice on how to fix one if you never had to.