Rear wheel drive converstion [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel drive converstion

turbo_GA
08-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have any idea how you could convert a 2000 grand am gt to rear wheel drive?

02andahalfgt
08-11-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm gonna beat Bob on this one..

Step 1, sell the car
Step 2, buy a RWD vehicle.

:rolleyes:

MarcRiedel
08-11-2004, 09:10 PM
its quite simple, you dont.

Honestly, do you really think it would be worth it? the thousands and thousands of dollars, risk of errors, and so forth? If you want a race car, buy a car that's meant for it, not a family sedan. (not trying to be an *******)

mr_eh
08-11-2004, 09:12 PM
theres nothing wrong with racing a grand am

but if you need to ask how to race it or how to do something that pertains to something as broad as "how do i convert my car to rwd" then your an idiot

MarcRiedel
08-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with racing a grand am, but a grand am is DEFINETLY not worth the money and unforseen errors that WILL occur with a project like this. Paying money for somthing made for the grand am, IE, CAI, Exhaust, Headers, hell even a supercharger is fine. But converting to RWD? Seems outrageous unless you're making a hundred-thousand dollar car.

02andahalfgt
08-11-2004, 09:18 PM
unless you're making a hundred-thousand dollar car.

Then why not buy a hundred thousand dollar car? Remember it's still a Grand Am.

lol That should be in Pontiac's comercials instead of 'Fuel for the soul'.

SC/TGrandAm
08-11-2004, 09:23 PM
If you convert a Grand AM to RWD your not only a moron your an A1 moron. For the money you blow you could buy a real car.

turbo_GA
08-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Well to tell you the truth I could convert the car to rwd, I just wanted to know if anyone had attempted it before, and if it worked.

Vintalage
08-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Talk to ***. As far as i'm concerned, they were unsuccessful.

MarcRiedel
08-11-2004, 09:29 PM
i would Loooooove to be proved wrong here. Please, convert it to RWD and then you might as well do a manual conversion, then you're going to need power to go along with the rwd and manual config, so you'll need new cylinder heads, a supercharger, headers, exhaust, and a hoard of other stuff. Should alltogether run you less than $250, easily.

Oh, and we're expecting videos of your RWD burnouts.

eren00gt
08-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Does anyone have any idea how you could convert a 2000 grand am gt to rear wheel drive?

Easy....Go to local Pontiac dealership and trade for a new Austalian Grand Am or as GM refers to it, the GTO. Boom. Done. And you would probably come out ahead financially.

KPimm
08-12-2004, 05:01 AM
Talk to ***. As far as i'm concerned, they were unsuccessful.

I think *** did get thier "Project Betty" completed. It has an LT1 with a Vortec supercharger, rwd, and more. Many critical components had to be moved or modified to make this possible. The firewall had to be moved back like 6" to make room for the V8 alone.

There is also some pics of an all wheel drive Beretta somewhere on this site.

kse73
08-12-2004, 09:31 AM
I think *** did get thier "Project Betty" completed. It has an LT1 with a Vortec supercharger, rwd, and more. Many critical components had to be moved or modified to make this possible. The firewall had to be moved back like 6" to make room for the V8 alone.

There is also some pics of an all wheel drive Beretta somewhere on this site.

He didnt say it was not completed, he said it was unsuccessful. I'd have to agree w/ that comment too.

Y2KGA
08-12-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm gonna beat Bob on this one..

Step 1, sell the car
Step 2, buy a RWD vehicle.

:rolleyes:

after you buy the RWD car put a grand am logo on it. :)

Seriously, converting it to rwd would be a huge project. The entire chassis would have to be changed including the floorboards to accomodate a drive shaft. I'd rather buy an older camaro and work with that then experiment on a relatively new car.

Blight
08-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Id rather do it AWD than RWD :)

johnsblack97
08-14-2004, 07:47 PM
I've seen video of the *** Bettyracer doing laps at Michigan Speedway and also burnouts as well....

johnsblack97
08-14-2004, 07:48 PM
How did it fail, I'm looking at buying a kit from these guys and would like to know if they are pulling a fast one on us?

5-lO
08-14-2004, 07:58 PM
The "racer betty" runs all of mid to high 14seconds ... horrible considering what all was done.

johnsblack97
08-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Really? I saw it in a Pontiac mag and they listed it running low 10's

iamnotincanada
08-14-2004, 11:50 PM
I hate when people ask for help on how to do things, and people just say don't do it. I have seen it far too often.

Turbo_GA: I don't know anything about RWD swaps, but I to have started looking into it as a future project... really distance future (reasons: lack of knowledge, experience and money). I forget who did it, but there is a Ford Focus that has a Cobra engine swap as well as RWD. You might want to look into that project an see what they had to do to make it work. Hope this will help you out.

kse73
08-15-2004, 12:30 AM
If you hate that people are trying to save you from wasting loads of money on something that isnt even promising, then by god, sorry for trying to help.

02andahalfgt
08-15-2004, 12:22 PM
If you hate that people are trying to save you from wasting loads of money on something that isnt even promising, then by god, sorry for trying to help.

:stupid:
Yes, please go spend thousands of dollars to make a GA rwd. So then you can have a 15 sec. rwd car and be the coolest person to ever own a GA. :rolleyes:

freshvoice
08-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Contact the people at GM. The blue project grand am they had at SEMA was a turbo 3500 powered, six speed, RWD rated at 300 HP i think. That car was a one off and prolly cost close to a cool mill for the custon parts and everything. It is totally possible to do it, but the results may not be what you expected. Im not saying you can't do it, and I won't say don't waste your Money. If you want to do it and think you can succeed, more power to you, but you are a better man than I am.

iamnotincanada
08-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm not saying that you can't try to help by saying that it will cost a lot of money and that it may not turn out the way you are expecting. That is constructive critism, which in some cases helps. I was mostly refering to the "sell your car and buy a new one" type comments, or the "you're an idiot/moron if you do this" comments.

StephensGA
08-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Jeesh what someone would spend to do a V8 swap they could drop in a 3800seriesII S/C motor get an engine pkg from intense and run 11-12's in the 1/4 or if you had to have that V8 you could do a N* or 4.9 PFI motor with the 4t60e tranny or getrag 5spd $8000-10,000 for a mean swap that would do laps around the L98 powered betty racer all with a fwd car.

I always hear thats dumb V8 in a fwd car the 2 motors above weigh near the same as a 3400 and the 3800 is actually heavier than the 4.9 & N* which these 2 motors put out more power than that 3800 s/c motor and those GP guys are putting those 3800's in the 10's and 11's with what i call basic mods P&P,Cam Job,air and fuel delivery etc.

kamikaz16
08-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Two words, one car: Trans Am.