Pease Read, need help now!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Pease Read, need help now!!!

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Ok i opened my coolant tank to see if the level was ok and i see that it looks foamy in the coolant and on the cap. Oil is fine and i just had my lim fixed last month for an external leak. I just changed my air filter and pcv valve todaqy, coud that have anything to do with it. The coolant just is like foamy on top, again my oil looks fine, what could it be???

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Oh and to mention real fast, i was driving a lot tonight, and the car did get pretty hot (nothing unusual though) could it be from that that it has like foamy **** on top of the coolant?? Please i really need an answer soon, i need my car tommorow!!

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Nothing yet, sorry to be annoying, i just really am worried, and i can not go to my dealer since all the dealership service dept. are on strike here beause of their union or whatever!
My coolant looked foamy, man i just cant find nothing on it , and i have searched on this site, GAOC and n-body, mann!!!

GALover
08-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Was there a lot of foam?

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 02:42 AM
i dunno if you would say alot, i guesss yea on the top, but not like way to much where like half the coolant reservoir was coolant, it was just like floating on the top of the coolant, i think it might be because i just ran the car hot tonight alot, and did a lot of driving in traffic (for about 6 hours or so)

GALover
08-14-2004, 02:46 AM
Don't be too worried. Get some sleep man, it's what like 4am there? The system shouldn't even need to be checked until like 50k miles according to the manual. Should be fine but I'm no pro on this. And stop racing/cruising/whatever you were doin' tonight. It's hard on a little 3.4L. lol

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 02:48 AM
lol yea its about 4 here, i gotta work in a few hours. Im thinking its just running the car hot for a long time it got a lil foamy in the coolant cause of it, i have never heard of OIL in the coolant, just the other way around.

OneFastGT
08-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) gasket strikes again. These cars are succeptable to blowing LIM gaskets in as little as 10,000 miles. Foam and a milky apperance signifies oil mixing with the coolant. Get the LIM checked out. I almost guarantee it's the problem.

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 09:25 AM
damn

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 09:34 AM
foamy coolant is a sign?

carsarecool
08-14-2004, 10:05 AM
well thats EXACTLY what i thought too, when i was posting about my moms 3400 alero having foamy coolant and i thought the LIM was done(foam on the cap and resivoir) -we brought it in, and the dealership service guy said that was normal for hot weather driving and older coolant(which it was the original, 62,000 miles and its a 99) the low coolant light had been coming on even though i was adding some, but it turned out to be the waterpump-they fixed it and flushed/filled the system with new dex-cool, its fine now. no leaks no foam
but id still get it checked out

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 10:35 AM
thanks, yeah the dealerships here are ion strike so i went to midas. HE said the exact same thing. I was driving in hot weather for a ling time yesterday and im about at 51,000 miles. He said it should be fine, but to call the dealership on monday and make a claim so in a few months if (hopefully not) it gets to be a problem and if it wuld involve what they fixed, they cant be asses about it lol

so overall he said "i wouldnt worry about it" just keep an eye on the oil levels and make sure to keep an eye on the temp guage. Yeah i have never had the low coolant light.

ANyways i am pretty relived

BiHStL
08-14-2004, 07:08 PM
to update anyone who cares, the coolant is fine, it is looking ok now, even after driving. I will call the dealership on mon. to just like file a claim so in case later it ends up bieng something, they will now i had the prob. when they had all their service workerws on strike. ANyways all is well now!!! Im very happy!!

AznGA
08-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Don't be too worried. Get some sleep man, it's what like 4am there? The system shouldn't even need to be checked until like 50k miles according to the manual. Should be fine but I'm no pro on this. And stop racing/cruising/whatever you were doin' tonight. It's hard on a little 3.4L. lol
I drive my car pretty hard. My 3400 is still fine.
:)

2Dambad
08-15-2004, 06:07 AM
When you had the lim replaced last month, did they flush the coolant and change the oil? The dealership in St Louis (Lou Fusz) replaced the gasket under warranty, but the fluid changes were not covered, so I did them myself. If they weren't changed when you got the lim fixed, they need to be changed.

BiHStL
08-15-2004, 02:06 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm didnt think about that......

Aleromi
08-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Ok dex coolant is not god gift to the Alum. rad...... Dex cool is crap if ur into racing .. but for the one who still have a warranty keep in there... Also water wetter will mix with dex-cool..

what this does is to help it cool better about 10% cooler that normal....

So 2 bottles will be plenty... Thats if u do alot of stop and go driving...

BiHStL
08-16-2004, 09:24 PM
water wetter??? Please explain more!!!

Aleromi
08-17-2004, 09:19 PM
water wetter??? Please explain more!!!

It made by redline oil the sell it at most autoparts stores ....

:driving: