Misfire question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Misfire question

MegaHyp
08-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Last night my car was running really crappy and i thought i had either bad gas or a misfire, turns out after getting it checked out it was a misfire on cylinder 5. today it ran fine but the SES light stayed on, then later turned off while i was driving home from the mechanic. The light has Not came back on and the car seems to be running fine.

My question is, am i hurting anything by driving it? Since its running fine and the SES went off i figured its ok. But of course i still plan on getting new plugs.

juanvan
08-16-2004, 01:20 PM
if you keep hearing the dead cylinder, or the cylinder is not firing you are going to be hurting the engine, along with pumping all the un used gas into the exhaust. If you SES light is not on, I would assume that the cylinder is working properly.

Did you pull the plug, and check for any kind of strange conditions?

HotLikeFire
08-16-2004, 01:23 PM
This might be the stupidest question ever, but i'll be the first one to admit I don't know
sh!t about cars. What does it sound like when it misfires? how do you know its misfiring?

HotLikeFire
08-18-2004, 06:39 AM
;oops

I guess I don't know what it means to 'bump' a thread.

Will someone please answer my question above?
TIA

iceman
08-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Well.. when your engine is runnin ok, everything will sound smooth when you accelerate around town. If you're misfiring, when you hit the gas, the car will hesitate for a split second, and the smooth sound will be interrupted.. Sometimes itll sound like a small pop. That's normally due to some sort of bad spark.. another thing, when my car had clogged injectors and was misfiring, there would just be hesitation.. you'd hit the gas, it would be all slow, surge a little, then eventually go.

GAGTSCTGuy
08-18-2004, 06:45 AM
;oops

I guess I don't know what it means to 'bump' a thread.

Will someone please answer my question above?
TIA

sure, you just go

"bump."

thats all it takes :)

In all seriousness I don't know anything about misfiring, sorry...

juanvan
08-18-2004, 06:45 AM
*clunk* what is sounds like on a 2 cylinder.
its harder to hear on a six because of how fast it goes threw the rotation.
You can tell by lack of power, defiantly

If you lose 1 cylinder, pending on where it is in the rotation
the power loss will flux some

A misfire is a little harder, b/c it does not happen constantly
In that case ~ hook it up to a scope, and check the kvs (think thats the abreviation)
But you still would hear something in the engine bay.

Let the car idle for a little, stand out side with the hood open, and listen for any strange noises ~ best advice

Even with my experience, I have a hard time telling, by sound, if a cylinder is messing up
But can tell at the pedal :)
G/l

HotLikeFire
08-18-2004, 06:47 AM
Well.. when your engine is runnin ok, everything will sound smooth when you accelerate around town. If you're misfiring, when you hit the gas, the car will hesitate for a split second, and the smooth sound will be interrupted.. Sometimes itll sound like a small pop. That's normally due to some sort of bad spark.. another thing, when my car had clogged injectors and was misfiring, there would just be hesitation.. you'd hit the gas, it would be all slow, surge a little, then eventually go.

Thanks Seth.

So would these be something they would find when they do the computerized diagnosis thingy? lol My car does that sometimes (its at about 51k mi) but im wondering if it just needs new plugs and wires. I had them run the diagnostics about a month ago when I had it in the shop and they found nothing.