Gas Mileage going to Crap. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage going to Crap.

freshvoice
08-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Since I put n my CAI and my Borla my fuel efficiency has gotten worse. Not just a little worse, like I burn an eighth of a tank driving for an hour. Like I have said before the car is high mileage and I have hear stories about problems with the lower intake manifolds on N-bodies. I know I revved one day and heard a pop like back fire, but figured it as the exhaust breaking in. Could it be the lower intake mani? Or possibly that my new catback isn't seating properly with my stock downpipe? Someone give me some advice Pronto. Need to know if I need to take it in to the dealer. If I do I need to take a few hours to pull my CAI and reinstall the factory airbox.

Hexx
08-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Since I put n my CAI and my Borla my fuel efficiency has gotten worse. Not just a little worse, like I burn an eighth of a tank driving for an hour. Like I have said before the car is high mileage and I have hear stories about problems with the lower intake manifolds on N-bodies. I know I revved one day and heard a pop like back fire, but figured it as the exhaust breaking in. Could it be the lower intake mani? Or possibly that my new catback isn't seating properly with my stock downpipe? Someone give me some advice Pronto. Need to know if I need to take it in to the dealer. If I do I need to take a few hours to pull my CAI and reinstall the factory airbox.

Probably not the intake mani. I thought my gas mileage was bad because of that. I got it fixed. No difference. Just fixed the leak issue thats all.

I have a dr. speed stage 3 cai. I can get good gas mileage if I drive like a granny.

Like everyone will say though, you gotta pay to play. HP isn't free. It sucks but its the truth. I can only get 300ish miles (360 at best) on a full tank on highway miles (I've tested it out a few times...and everytime I go to NH from ME).

freshvoice
08-15-2004, 08:10 PM
well I have the same intake so I guess that answers it. Me romping on it to hear that evil sounding intake probably isnt helping either huh?

Hexx
08-15-2004, 08:47 PM
well I have the same intake so I guess that answers it. Me romping on it to hear that evil sounding intake probably isnt helping either huh?

That def does not help. I've noticed if you keep the rpm under or at about 2500 rpm you will be OK with gas.

LukeD
08-16-2004, 01:41 AM
shoot 300 miles, thats good. I drive mostly city (highway is always stop and go too) and I get about 215 miles on a full tank. I dont know how much better it would be if I drove mostly highway though, I havent measured it. However I don't granny it hardly at all. Especially since I installed my CAI I am always giving it extra gas off the lines just to hear that whistle. Thast is so cool sounding.

Hexx
08-16-2004, 08:03 AM
shoot 300 miles, thats good. I drive mostly city (highway is always stop and go too) and I get about 215 miles on a full tank. I dont know how much better it would be if I drove mostly highway though, I havent measured it. However I don't granny it hardly at all. Especially since I installed my CAI I am always giving it extra gas off the lines just to hear that whistle. Thast is so cool sounding.

Well its sad knowing when I first had my car (last year) I got 400 MPG. Those were highway miles also. I bought the car at 59K miles. I dont know what happened.

I also have a bad alignment so that is probably screwing up my mileage.