Has / Had Steering Rack Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Has / Had Steering Rack Problem

Terrible Towel
08-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Just wondering how many of you have experienced a problem with your steering rack or steering box. I am currently getting a shimmy in my steering wheel at highway speeds and have new tires put on, 4 wheel balance, tie rods and bearing checked. Everything is ok. My back driver side rim has a slight bend in it, but not enough that it would cause a steering wheel shimmy (least I don't think).
Was thinking maybe its in the steering (what else is left!).

Oh, haven't had a alignment, but was told that shouldn't cause a shimmy in the sterring wheel either.

Thanks.

ps. New to the forum, just go the Grand Am used a couple months ago. Love the car, but already mechanically I'm dissapointed. Also have a rough idle and a PO113 code.

HotLikeFire
08-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Just wondering how many of you have experienced a problem with your steering rack or steering box. I am currently getting a shimmy in my steering wheel at highway speeds and have new tires put on, 4 wheel balance, tie rods and bearing checked. Everything is ok. My back driver side rim has a slight bend in it, but not enough that it would cause a steering wheel shimmy (least I don't think).
Was thinking maybe its in the steering (what else is left!).

Oh, haven't had a alignment, but was told that shouldn't cause a shimmy in the sterring wheel either.

Thanks.

ps. New to the forum, just go the Grand Am used a couple months ago. Love the car, but already mechanically I'm dissapointed. Also have a rough idle and a PO113 code.

Welcome!

I have the same issue. Bought my 00 used a few months ago and have horrible shimmying at higher speeds (60 plus). I assumed it was alignment (I don't know much about cars) but when I took it into the dealership to have some warranty work done (bought the extended warranty) they replaced a tie rod and realigned my car for free and said that the shimmy wasn't due to alignment. The mechanic said it was allll tires. I still have the stock RS-A Goodyears on my car and if you haven't heard about those.. you will. lol anyways, they were never rotated so they are cupped pretty badly and apparently causing the shimmy along with a whole other list of issues when I brake/turn etc (something about the tire not fitting the rim right or something). So. I hate these tires and am currently saving so I can get a set of realllly nice ones. Until then I have to deal with this violently shaking steering when Im flying down the freeway. I hope the issue is fixed after the new tires go on. If you figure out what's going on with your car make sure to post up just incase the tires don't fix the shimmy for me.
GAGT's are great looking cars and from what I hear will run nicely as long as you take care of them. There are some common problems that are GT specific but every car seems to have its issues. Other than that, you get what you pay for. I still love my car though even if she has a sezuire (shimmy) every time I get her going. lol Don't know much about the codes.. im a girl and really have no idea what codes are but good look. HEre's a link to the TSB on our cars which may help you diagnose your problem. Good Luck!

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438

HotLikeFire
08-16-2004, 07:47 AM
#02-06-03-005 Service Engine Soon Light with Stored Codes P0112, P0113, P111 or P1112 (Replace IAT Sensor Connector) - (Jun 5, 2002)

This is from the TSB on the code you're bringing up. HTH

Terrible Towel
08-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Ahhh, thanks.

Looks like a will have to pull a new connector from somewhere. Thanks for the help on the shimmy thing...when I put tires on it didn't help me.

I also get a really loud grinding noise from the breaks when I am almost at a complete stop...and the breaks are new. Wonder if its related?

Anyone else have anything to add that may help?

AndyVTek
08-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Meh, a "shimmy" at a higher speed can many times indicate warped rotors, which is a common problem with GAs. Just an idea, tho.

About that rough idle, if your car is a 99 like your profile says, check your plugs and wires. Alotta times that will fix it.

BtW, you from Pittsburgh? Just curious, since you're name is "Terrible Towel." lol

HotLikeFire
08-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Meh, a "shimmy" at a higher speed can many times indicate warped rotors. Just an idea, tho.

Really? Even when you're not braking?

AndyVTek
08-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Really? Even when you're not braking?

Yup... Usually happens when one lugg isn't tightened all the way. Regardless, the metal GM uses for their rotors is ****, so lots of new GAs, ( <10,000 miles) are seen in the shop with warped rotors.

HotLikeFire
08-16-2004, 08:12 AM
well after I got new tires.. next on the agenda was new rotors and ceramic pads. But thats still a nice chunk of money I don't have. >:( lame.

Terrible Towel
08-16-2004, 08:12 AM
I had the rotors replaced in Nov at Sears. How can I check to see of they are warped? The noise from the breaks comes when I am breaking at slow speeds...like from 10mph.

Yea, from Pittsburgh...

AndyVTek
08-16-2004, 08:16 AM
I had the rotors replaced in Nov at Sears. How can I check to see of they are warped? The noise from the breaks comes when I am breaking at slow speeds...like from 10mph.

Yea, from Pittsburgh...

A shop is the only place that can really tell... Did Sears replace your rotors and include a warranty? If they did, you should be able to take the car back to them so they can figure it out. Warped rotors may not be the cause, but it's a possiblity.

As for the break noise, I'm sure it's a common thing, unless it extremely loud or sounds too crazy. Noises are hard to explain... lol

EDIT: Just read that you said your break pads are new, which will grind alittle until the break-in on your rotors.

HotLikeFire
08-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Towel-

What kind of tires did you get put on your car?

Is the braking a scrunching type noise? Or more of a scrape, worn out pad noise?

Terrible Towel
08-16-2004, 08:23 AM
It's not a worn out pad...had the pads put on in Nov also. I have Han**** HR II tires. I think they are low profile Z rated....