DRL mod questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DRL mod questions

blckgrndam99
08-16-2004, 09:28 PM
i did this mod today but i have a few worries now

first off when i cut the blue wire i didnt leave as much slack as i would have like to. i ended up stripping the whole wire twice, so now theres prolly only 3 inches left on the BCM, is this bad?

second, i ground it to a screw and put a fastener(if thats what its called) on top of it and screwed it down so it made the connector be smushed inbtween the metal screw and the fastener, is this a good ground?

lastly, if the BCM wire and the added wire ever were to unconnect for some unknow reason, would this fry my BCM, or what would the signs be?

USAFgt1
08-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Not to be a d*ck or anything here, but everytime I hear about someone modding their DRL's this, cutting these wires that, just bought a $80 unit this....WTF. It really isn't all that hard. Pop off the vent cover on the front of the dash for the windsheild defroster, cover said DRL sensor on the left with electrical tape, pop cover back on. Problem solved, for free, forever, no cut wires. I cannont belive that this is even an issue. (Just trying to help, btw) :boogie:

blckgrndam99
08-16-2004, 10:06 PM
y would i do that, then the computer sees that its dark outside and the headlights are always on

cavingman
08-17-2004, 07:01 AM
except for when you switch your lights to park, and everything turns off but the parking lights

USAFgt1
08-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks cavingman, problem solved, for good. :)

Rogue9
08-17-2004, 04:09 PM
that is model dependant.
different years, different light settings.

if I cover my light sensor. my head lights are ON. all the time.
switching to park does nothing.
That is also mentioned a bunch of times.

So WTF don't u know this? Not to be a d*ck or anything of course.

he has a 99. I have 01. you have 02 and 03.

:clueless:

SC/TGrandAm
08-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Not to be a d*ck or anything here, but everytime I hear about someone modding their DRL's this, cutting these wires that, just bought a $80 unit this....WTF. It really isn't all that hard. Pop off the vent cover on the front of the dash for the windsheild defroster, cover said DRL sensor on the left with electrical tape, pop cover back on. Problem solved, for free, forever, no cut wires. I cannont belive that this is even an issue. (Just trying to help, btw) :boogie:

Do more research, not everybody has that luxary as the DRL system varied from year to year....

K2737
08-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I taped over my sensor in my '01 SE sooo I don't know why yours works that way. I thought the only years that couldn't do this were 99 - 00 beacuse they didn't have a parking light option...just lights on and off.

Don't you wish we had the same system as in camrys where there is the DRL on, DRL off, parking lights, and lights on choices. I thought that was cool when I drove one the other day.

that is model dependant.
different years, different light settings.

if I cover my light sensor. my head lights are ON. all the time.
switching to park does nothing.
That is also mentioned a bunch of times.

So WTF don't u know this? Not to be a d*ck or anything of course.

he has a 99. I have 01. you have 02 and 03.

:clueless: