Window Regulator Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window Regulator Problem

sundevilkid
08-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I know we are all on the same page as to the cheap azz GM power window problem, but I was wondering if possible to get a range of prices that have been paid or quoted to fix this thing. If possible i would also like to know if anybody has done the junk yard search for the regulator??

snwman
08-17-2004, 07:00 PM
ebay has them for around $90 new and they work much much better than OEM parts.

GTLUVA
08-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Join the club. My passenger side window regualtor already went at 10,000 miles. I'm happy I didn't have to pay for the work $400 odd some dollars and that included new window clips. Knock on wood still have original drivers side window regaultor. Car just rolled 14,000 miles today.

CelticSkyhawk
08-17-2004, 07:11 PM
ebay has them for around $90 new and they work much much better than OEM parts.

From what you've seen, do those regulators on eBay include the window retainer clips? My driver window broke one, I thought I had fused it back together, but it broke loose and then the front clip and mounting to the regulator broke, dropping my window into the door. I've ordered one from AZTechParts on eBay, but they never responded to whether it includes the clips. When I checked with the Pontiac dealership, they told me it would cost $35 per clip which I thought was ridiculous for a piece of plastic.

TOMGT99
08-17-2004, 09:06 PM
I bought from a junkyard once. It broke again. I highly disapprove of anybody going to a junkyard for a window regulator. I purchased my last one from ebay so far no problems. It was brand new and was only bought for $50.00.

CelticSkyhawk
08-18-2004, 08:09 AM
I bought from a junkyard once. It broke again. I highly disapprove of anybody going to a junkyard for a window regulator. I purchased my last one from ebay so far no problems. It was brand new and was only bought for $50.00.

Did it come with the sash piece that mounts onto the window?

StephenM
08-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Bought the whole regulator from a junkyard in near me, installed it myself (I bet I let the :bleep: mess with my car). Cost me $95, I guess I could have bought it on eBay but I couldn't wait. I've had it in for about 4 months now, no problems at all!

jayfly07
08-19-2004, 11:26 PM
My drivers side is broken. Got quoted at around 460.00. That's why it's still broken.

StephenM
08-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Guys, this is one of the easiest fixes I've ever done, it takes maybe an hour if you get confused on what to do. There is a HOW TO link on the boards somewhere, has pictures and everything. If you can afford to buy the part, there is really no reason you can't do the repair yourself.

drwambo
08-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Also - before you buy a new regulator, make sure that it's not just the cheap clips for the window! There IS a replacement part for these that needs to be glued on to the window. THat's what broke on mine. Took me forever to get the dealer to give up on the parts, but once they did, I hed them glued on, and the window works like new.

CelticSkyhawk
08-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Guys, this is one of the easiest fixes I've ever done, it takes maybe an hour if you get confused on what to do. There is a HOW TO link on the boards somewhere, has pictures and everything. If you can afford to buy the part, there is really no reason you can't do the repair yourself.

My problem isn't whether I can replace the part, I'm trying to find out if these regulators on ebay include the part that actually connects to the window. Guess I'll know soon enough, should be arriving today or Monday.

drwambo
08-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Is the motor truly not working, or are the clips broken?

StephenM
08-20-2004, 07:35 AM
the ones off eBay include everything you need to do the install FYI

snwman
08-20-2004, 08:59 AM
they DO not include the clips that are glued to the window or whatever. otherwise yes everything to isntall. I am about to buy one for my passenger side due to the window going very very slow now.