K&N oil filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : K&N oil filter

tammikm
08-18-2004, 10:19 AM
does anyone here use the K7N oil filter HP-1001? Is it really worth the 20 bucks Canadian for this filter over the 5 dollar ac delco filter? what are the benefits of the K&N.

thanks

GAGTSCTGuy
08-18-2004, 10:20 AM
I use it, I think it only cost 9.99USD(not sure what that is canadian) though. They say it is more "free flowing", but I couldn't tell you if it is or not.

edit: I can say it hasn't caused any problems, its only been on for about 1050 miles though....

ViperGTSR
08-18-2004, 02:46 PM
ive used it. i said hey im already droppin 40 bucks for a few quarts of synth why not drop 10 more!

sc02grandam
08-18-2004, 02:50 PM
does anyone here use the K7N oil filter HP-1001? Is it really worth the 20 bucks Canadian for this filter over the 5 dollar ac delco filter? what are the benefits of the K&N.

thanks

it lasts forever... you dont have to change it... but you do have to recharge it every now and then

ViperGTSR
08-18-2004, 02:55 PM
???? recharge an oil filter? i dont think you can do that

GAGTSCTGuy
08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
it lasts forever... you dont have to change it... but you do have to recharge it every now and then

Oil filters, not air filters, you don't recharge the oil filters, you just replace them, I'm not sure how long they are good for, but its not forever....

The air filters are good forever (1 million miles I think, recharge every 15,000?)

erimar77
08-18-2004, 03:43 PM
www.bobistheoilguy.com that guy knows everything

Metallman56
05-09-2006, 10:51 AM
i am going to give this a bump. i just bought a wix and it was $7 cheaper then the k&n i have been running. which is better? wix claims to be pretty good. what say you mike jung? k&n, wix, or neither?

videoman
05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
I have used only the AC delco and Wix filters. For the past 6 Changes though I have gone only with the wix oversized filter. I have noticed that the oil overtime still looks alot cleaner than it did with even the delco filters. I havent used a K&N Filter on my oil and don't think I will cause the wix filtersdo an awesome job. After about 2 months of daily driving I sampled my oil to see how it looked and besides the slightly darker color there were no particles in the oil. Almost looked brand new.

lvemy3100
05-09-2006, 11:43 AM
delco's and k&n flow the same but the k&n has a nut on the end to make it easier to remove and also has a higher burst strength..

stp= less flow
fram= less flow
bosch= oem flow or greater
mobil= oem flow or greater
k&n= oem flow or greater
wix= no clue (have never seen one)

oversized filters will always last longer as they have a greater capacity and more filter medium..

hth

ViperGTSR
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
K&N oil filters SUCK at filtering, dont use them. Use purolator, stock, and a pretty good one is the mobil high efficiency filters

Metallman56
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
i have really liked my k&n. i also use a filter magnet, which by the way works really well. anyone know what micron the wix goes down to? iirc i think the k&n is 10 microns.

ViperGTSR
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
ok, thats great that you like it, but OBJECTIVELY, its a really really crappy filter, and I don't reccommend using it.

Metallman56
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM
why not? whats so bad about it? just wondering. sounds like you have had problems with it, that maybe we all could benefit from.

ViperGTSR
05-09-2006, 04:24 PM
no, its not about problems, its about how well it filters, and the K&N only filters about 70% of the stuff out in one-pass where as most of the others are 80-96%, it doesnt work as well, sure it flows well, but it doesnt filter for crap

lvemy3100
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
air filters are the same way.... you lose filtration to gain flow... its the nature of the beast...

but with oil filters some of the flow is gained based on the oil passages on the fiter. inthe case of fram and stp the reduce flow by using smaller passages

mr03SCT
05-09-2006, 06:00 PM
i use amsoil air filter, oil filter and oil...extended drain intervals but I change at 20000kms not the 24000km that they guarantee for severe service (ASL 5W-30). Oil looks still looks great. Air filter gets cleaned every 20000kms (only needs to be replaced after 100000miles, but i plan on replacing it after 100000kms)

can't go wrong with this oil.

Metallman56
05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
i am a big fan of royal purple. after my millage went up with a simple oil change, i was hooked.

if k&n does filter as good as fram, then why can fram only catch 15 microns, while k&n is 10? please explain.

Mike Jung
05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
delco's and k&n flow the same...
How about :nono: !

i am going to give this a bump. i just bought a wix and it was $7 cheaper then the k&n i have been running. which is better? wix claims to be pretty good. what say you mike jung? k&n, wix, or neither?
Wix oil filters & un-officially a.k.a. NAPA Gold & Carquest Premium Blue oil filters.
(The company that makes Wix oil filters also makes the AC Delco Canadian oil filters. Example: PF-47c oil filters)

Let's put it this way:
My GA has a NAPA Gold 1036 (similar in size to an AC Delco PF-52) oil filter & my Mom's Sunfire GT has a NAPA Gold 1042 (similar in size to an AC Delco PF-44/46) oil filter with Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil that is made in Germany.
(I put the last of the "green stuff" '04-generation oil into my Mom's car.)

It cost me here locally:
NAPA Gold 1036 oil filter = $7.09Cdn
NAPA Gold 1042 oil filter = $11.59Cdn

http://www.wixfilters.com

They have a good designed Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve.
"Glass Enhanced" media for slightly better filtering.
Flows about double of what an AC Delco filter does & filters better too.

Wix 51040 oil filter (similar in size to AC Delco PF-47)

Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/31
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM (Gallons per minute)
Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Beta Ratio 2 (50% efficiency) = at 15-microns
Beta Ratio 20 (95% efficiency) = at 31-microns

Now before you go blasting these specs.
What other company do you know openly puts their actual specs online ?
Most just put on a "marketing" # that sounds good; not actual real rating #'s.

Now there are better filtering oil filters (like Purolator Pure One & Mobil 1 oil filters), but they do not flow as well.
Some feel that flow is more important than filtering (within reason).

If you want flow & strong oil filter casing:
Get the K&N oil filter.

OH yea: K&N oil filters don't filter as well.

Like some cars have a low hanging oil filter.

& some others want max HP at WOT in the upper RPM's.
K&N oil filter will help out in any oil restrictions.
Like there is a guy that has a C5 Corvette & dyno's higher with a K&N oil filter at the top of the RPM band.
& his oil filter hangs low (he likes to "over-size" it).

You want some real answers, go to:
Bob is the Oil Guy forum, Oil Filter Section (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=6) & search around.

PS: PASS ON / DO NOT USE THE FRAM ORANGE OIL FILTERS !

Mike Jung
05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
...K&N only filters about 70% of the stuff out in one-pass where as most of the others are 80-96%, it doesnt work as well, sure it flows well, but it doesnt filter for crap
&
if k&n does filter as good as fram, then why can fram only catch 15 microns, while k&n is 10? please explain.
At what ratings: size & efficiency ?

I bet you will never find out, easily.

PS: Alex/ViperGTSR,
How are you liking your (made in Germany) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (that is ACEA A3, BMW LL-01, & Mercedes 229.5 rated) synthetic motor oil ?

ViperGTSR
05-09-2006, 09:38 PM
I loved it!! really good stuff, worked great for me

Metallman56
05-09-2006, 09:52 PM
so mike, what your saying in english is, its a good filter? right?

Mike Jung
05-09-2006, 09:54 PM
so mike, what your saying in english is, its a good filter? right?

YUP! :thumbs:

PS: Found a paper on Beta ratings:
The Micron Rating for Media in Fluid Filters by the "Filter Manufacturers Council" (http://filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/89-5R3.pdf)

Metallman56
05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
sweet. that will save me some $$$.

JHawk GT
05-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Let's put it this way:
My GA has a NAPA Gold 1036 (similar in size to an AC Delco PF-52) oil filter & my Mom's Sunfire GT has a NAPA Gold 1042 (similar in size to an AC Delco PF-44/46) oil filter with Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil that is made in Germany.
(I put the last of the "green stuff" '04-generation oil into my Mom's car.)

How's the 2.4 doing with gas mileage with GC? I'm a little hesitant to put such a thick oil in a 4cyl. although I had been thinking about putting it in my mom's 2.4 Cav. Gas mileage suffered last summer when I ran some M1 10W30 in it.

I'm surprised you're not running the Wix equivalent of the PF-59 in the 2.4. Plenty of room for it.

Mike Jung
05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
How's the 2.4 doing with gas mileage with GC? I'm a little hesitant to put such a thick oil in a 4cyl. although I had been thinking about putting it in my mom's 2.4 Cav. Gas mileage suffered last summer when I ran some M1 10W30 in it.

I'm surprised you're not running the Wix equivalent of the PF-59 in the 2.4. Plenty of room for it.
I just put in the GC into my Mom's car yesterday lol

Didn't want to push my luck using an over-sized oil filter in my Mom's car lol
(& wasn't sure on the clearance.)

Hmm, wonders out loud :D

Metallman56
05-10-2006, 07:31 AM
so whats the deal with a oversized filter?

lvemy3100
05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
How about :nono:.....[/SIZE][/B]

mike I later stated ... in the same post that the k&n flows the same or greater than the oem ac delco.

Mike Jung
05-10-2006, 09:00 PM
so whats the deal with a oversized filter?
See: 'Over-Sized' Oil Filters ? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52756)

Metallman56
05-11-2006, 09:14 AM
so mike, you have not had any problems with it? thats cool. but does that mean instead of having 4.5 quarts you would go with 5 cause there is so much staying in the filter?

slowbird
05-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Mobil 1 Manufactuers the K&N Oil Filters

So they both filter and flow relativley the same.

If I could get the Purolator or the Mobil 1 filters in Canada I'd use those cause they have the best filtration properties acording to the JAE standards and testings.

Mike Jung
05-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Mobil 1 Manufactuers the K&N Oil Filters

So they both filter and flow relativley the same.

If I could get the Purolator or the Mobil 1 filters in Canada I'd use those cause they have the best filtration properties acording to the JAE standards and testings.
You can't be more WRONG!

Mobil 1 does NOT manufacture oil filters; they get someone else to make them to their specs.
(There are only so many oil filter manufactures.)

IIRC, Champion Labs manufacturers Mobil 1 & K&N oil filters (as well as other types; like some AC Delcos).

Mobil 1 & K&N oil filters are no where alike.
Different design & media in them.

So how do Purolator (I'm guessing that you mean) Pure One or Mobil 1 oil filters flow ? lol
They do filter good; but how well do they flow in Gallons per Minute ?

Mike Jung
05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
so mike, you have not had any problems with it? thats cool. but does that mean instead of having 4.5 quarts you would go with 5 cause there is so much staying in the filter?
No problems, but the dealer's guys going :wtf
(along with my Castrol Syntec 0W-30 "GREEN" oil) lol

I use about 4.25-4.5L (about 4.5-4.75 US Quarts) of oil.

slowbird
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
You can't be more WRONG!

Mobil 1 does NOT manufacture oil filters; they get someone else to make them to their specs.
(There are only so many oil filter manufactures.)

IIRC, Champion Labs manufacturers Mobil 1 & K&N oil filters (as well as other types; like some AC Delcos).

Mobil 1 & K&N oil filters are no where alike.
Different design & media in them.

So how do Purolator (I'm guessing) you mean Pure One or Mobil 1 oil filters flow ? lol
They do filter good; but how well do they flow in Gallons per Minute ?

My apologizes....I was mistaken. But yes...Mobil 1 and K&N are made by the same company.

Purolator makes Pure One and they are Good filtering Oil filters. As far as I hear the Pure One looks a bit restrictive, and the Mobil 1's are a good happy Medium.

Mobil 1 and K&N are made by the same company. So Since Mobil 1 isn't available in Canada...K&N is a good Choice. better than Fram, Quakerstate and Motormaster....though apparently Motorstate ones are good also.

Mike Jung
05-11-2006, 07:42 PM
...Mobil 1 and K&N are made by the same company. So Since Mobil 1 isn't available in Canada...K&N is a good Choice. better than Fram, Quakerstate and Motormaster....though apparently Motorstate ones are good also.

:haha: You do realize that the Quaker State oil filters are now made by Purolator; & not by Fram :p
Pennzoil oil filters are made by Fram & Purolator (which models is secret lol) :rolleyes:

Purolator also makes the Valvoline Maxlife oil filters; but at a lower efficiency than their Purolator Premium Plus oil filters, but more capacity for holding junk.

PS: I wonder about the Honda owners (what they think), when they get US made for Honda spec'd by Fram lol

slowbird
05-12-2006, 12:39 AM
...anything made by Fram or anything of the sort I stay away from. Fram is junk IMO.
Even if Jesus made Fram Filters I'd stay away from them cause of the name.

The Pure One Filter is the only Purolator filter I'd buy....but even then I won't cause it may be too restrictive.

I just want Mobil 1 filters...that's all I want.

lone_wolf025
05-24-2006, 06:22 PM
And here I thought frams were pretty decent...Learn something new everyday I guess. Though about the only nice thing about frams is the grip on the filter can.

Redog
05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
I used one once, and that's all it took for me.

I usually use the ACDelco PF47's, (OEM size) I know I could use a PF52, but I just stick with that, never leaks!

The K&N leaked on me, a lot. I have found that ACDelco's don't leak that much. I had one leak on me and it was far less than the K&N. I could smell the oil leaking onto the block.

I use the Pure-o-lator's (however it's spelled) on the GF's Altima, and I think they suck too. I did find out a size for a Delco filter for her car, but I've never seen them.

Also just bought ACDelco PF61's for the Delta, but haven't gotten to oild change time on that car yet