Steering Clunk [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Clunk

Terrible Towel
08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey guys (and gals), one more thang:

When I turn my steering wheel I hear a clunking sound. Any idea what this could be???

Example: If I am at a stop sign and I turn my steering wheel back and forth, I get a clunking sound and I can feel it in the steering wheel.

v6h.o.
08-18-2004, 01:20 PM
if its noticable even during parked side to side turns of the steering wheel its your Intermediate Steering Shaft.

too much clearance.

GM did have a bulletin back some time ago for Lube kits for the Int Steering shafts. however the Nbody one was not one of them. you need a new shaft.

Terrible Towel
08-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks...

Do you have a part # or a approximate price?

Would this cause a steering wheel shimmy?

nomojo
08-18-2004, 10:28 PM
It could also just be the tie rod ends.

However, I had to have the entire steering rack replaced when mine started doing it. The loaner Alero they gave me while it was in for service had it too. In fact, I'd say anything under 2002 seems to develop the problem for sure. About 2 weeks after getting a new rack, it started doing it again.

Its been O.k. so far on my '03, so I'll cross my fingers. Besides, everything else is broke, so it cant possibly go.

As for the cost, it was ~$1800 CDN to have the rack replaced with labor. I didnt have to pay it as I had extended warranty.

Hope that helps.

v6h.o.
08-19-2004, 01:48 PM
its not in the rack. its the intermediate steering shaft.

i work at a GM dealer in canada, so the price will be way off. phone your local dealership and they can get you a price.