Damn Car won't run [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Damn Car won't run

eric99gt
08-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Alright here it is. I pulled off my front valve cover to retighten the rockers. Go to put it all back together and forget to put the front three spark plugs back on. S*it, so i notice the things are arcing all over the place. I shut it off and put them back on. Try to start it. The thing is running like crap. I'm thinking I screwed up something in the coil or something so i pull off a plug wire to see if it's firing. sure enough it's firing but not out of the tip. It's zapping me as i'm holding on to the wire. NOT touching the metal. what is up with that. What the hell could be wrong?? Any help???

Molson
08-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Thats normal to zap you holding the wire. Not sure what to tell ya about it not running, but its not good to run it without putting the plugs in.

juanvan
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
1. if it was running with out the plugs that is bad ~ turning over not too bad
2. You will always get zapped from coil b/c you are a ground ~ no metal needed
3. Perhaps while u were tighting you rockers something got too tight
4. Why are you tighting your rockers?
And
The Number 1 rule of thumb
If it works, don't fix it ~ unless u'r upgrading :doh:

eric99gt
08-18-2004, 05:38 PM
upgrading of course. i had everything port and polished and what not during the winter. ever since putting it all back together i've been getting some lifter noise. went to go fix it today. more damn problems lol. car was running on only three cylinders for like 10 seconds. god i hope i didn't destroy anything. could the rockers being to tight cause the car to run like crap. it's running fine when i give it throttle but as soon as i let off it's trying to die. the comp keeps compensating and increasing the idle....any more ideas.

juanvan
08-19-2004, 07:38 AM
humm, check u'r compression on the cylinders ~ maybe when the new pieces were put on some gasket was no in place, creating a leak.

The rockers being too tight, could be screwing with the valves, thus not letting gas in or exhaust out.

Supprised the car ran on the 3 cylinders, but u should not be in bad shape just running it for 10 seconds

g/l

Blackrider
08-19-2004, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty sure you can overtighten thease rockers to the point where it will effect the engine running per them being hydrolic rollers, If you overtighten them you just going to damage the head.

Eric I would check the colis, See if you have spark on the frount 3 cylinders. Mind you If you fried the frount 3 cyl's coils then you fried them all. it sounds like igniton to me. It should be alright just running on 3 cyl. for a few seconds.

I dont see how compression would be a factor it was running just fine before. the only problem I can see would be the valves not seating right, but how that happend in a matter of min. I dont know.

eric99gt
08-19-2004, 05:18 PM
and it's fixed. i pulled off the front valve cover again. rechecked the torque on the rockers. put it back together, and it's still running like crap. I decide to check the spark. pull each one off and they're fine. put them all back on and at this time i have all the air senors pulled on the intake tubing. start it over runs fine. I'm thinking it has something to do with one of those sensors. plug each one in one by one and the car is still running fine. It fixed itself. God you have to love the Grand Ams.