Loose Caliper [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loose Caliper

Terrible Towel
08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
I noticed when I pulled a tire that my caliper is loose. Is this supossed to have any play with the tires off? It is the big metallic looking thing on the opposite end of the break pads.

Also, does anyone here think that a bad wheel alignment could cause a steering wheel shimmy at high speeds?

Thanks.

AaronGAGT
08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Yea - there's supposed to be a little play, but not a ton. Just make sure the 4 bolts are really tight. I've had problems with 2 of them on both calipers coming loose for some reason. Just be careful and keep them tight.

For the second question. I'd say yep - my brother's car is having the problem right now.

Slim
08-19-2004, 11:29 AM
There shouldn't be any play after you just pulled the wheel off. There two bolts holding the caliper to the steering knuckle. Those should be torqued to 85 ft/lbs. There are two other smaller bolts which hold the moveable part of the caliper to the main caliper piece. Those should be torqued down to aroun 25 - 30 ft/lbs IIRC. Make sure everything is tight and in place properly.

AaronGAGT
08-19-2004, 11:32 AM
There shouldn't be any play after you just pulled the wheel off. There two bolts holding the caliper to the steering knuckle. Those should be torqued to 85 ft/lbs. There are two other smaller bolts which hold the moveable part of the caliper to the main caliper piece. Those should be torqued down to aroun 25 - 30 ft/lbs IIRC. Make sure everything is tight and in place properly.

dang. i was always told by people that there should be a little bit of "float" i think they said... either way... all 4 of mine do it for some banal reason.

Slim
08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
They'll have a little play if you start reefin' on them, but just sitting there, they should be snug. When I replaced my rotors a couple weeks ago, all of my calipers were fairly snug against the rotors when I first popped the wheels off.

AaronGAGT
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
They'll have a little play if you start reefin' on them, but just sitting there, they should be snug. When I replaced my rotors a couple weeks ago, all of my calipers were fairly snug against the rotors when I first popped the wheels off.

lol reefin? well if that means... pulling on it really hard, then yea... when i reef on it, it moves a little. :irate: