Gettin a 99GT up on ramps [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gettin a 99GT up on ramps

Clyde
08-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Is there an easy way to get a 99GT up on ramps so i can get under the front end to do some work?

It's *SO CLOSE* but the ground effects / front bumper are touchin on the ramps.
I could probabally drive up and scrape a bit ... BUT .. will i crack the fiberglass doin that??

tubbsGT1
08-19-2004, 12:47 PM
well......depending on how high ur ramps are and how good of a jack you have....u can always jack it up and put on jackstands or something and then put the ramp under the tire

but thats just a WHOLE LOT of trouble

fishhunter911
08-19-2004, 12:48 PM
put a 2x4 in front of the ramp, the extra 1.5 inches will give you the clearance.

Dan00GPGT
08-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Rhino ramps... low clearance. I'm not sure the board trick will work since the front end will just end up touching further up the ramps. Worth a shot though.

fishhunter911
08-19-2004, 03:07 PM
It works for me but the ramp height might be different. Like Dan said, worth a try!

'01GT
08-19-2004, 04:15 PM
I have metal ramps and I put a 1x6 that's about 2 feet long on the ramp. It kind of wedges in between the lips on the ramp. Had to do that with my Sunbird too. Has worked for me for years.

tranceokido
08-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Why not just jack the car up?

iceman
08-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Rhino ramps... low clearance. I'm not sure the board trick will work since the front end will just end up touching further up the ramps. Worth a shot though.

:werd: rhino ramps with a 2x8 stuck in front of em work fine for me and my car is pretty low

Why not just jack the car up?

ramps are quicker, and safer, imo, if you're not taking wheels off.

rizer
08-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Werd, throw a peice of wood in front and drive right up.
Its alot more safe using ramps than jacks. Jacks can malfunction or slip and if theres no block or something to save you, your screwed.

Had a friend that died on the highway. A bag blew on his truck so he jacked it up trying to swap bags and the jack gave out for some reason and he was crushed to death :(

Clyde
08-22-2004, 06:11 AM
t/y everone ..... I ended up just jackin the one corner up a bit so I could get under there to change my lower rad hose.

quick note to everone else out there .... if you need your rad hoses changed, do it yourself! It's not that hard and DAMN cheaper than a shop will charge. I was quoted $130 for the lower rad hose. I spent $15 on the hose and $15 on a jug of 'DEX' ... and of course since i was savin so much money i spent an extra $20 on a case of beer