Front bumper cover removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper cover removal

XMBlackGT1
08-20-2004, 02:19 PM
How do I go about removing my front bumper cover? I want to see whats underneath it as far as frame damage, since my car was in a major crash before i bought it. Any help would be great. Thanks

EBlend
08-20-2004, 04:42 PM
clips in the center, 2 in the lower air dam. 2 bolts on each side right where fender meets the bumper and u have to remove all the clips from the shields inside your fenderwell as well as the clips that you see when you open the hood

i believe thats all there is, well at least thats all i can remember

XMBlackGT1
08-20-2004, 07:40 PM
clips in the center, 2 in the lower air dam. 2 bolts on each side right where fender meets the bumper and u have to remove all the clips from the shields inside your fenderwell as well as the clips that you see when you open the hood

i believe thats all there is, well at least thats all i can remember

Thanks for the info- Ive got 2 questions- Whats the easiest way to remove the clips from the inside of the fenderwell, and whats the easiest way to remove the 2 bolts from the fender? Will I have an easier time if I take the headlamps out? Thanks for the info!

Sleepwalkr
08-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Get a "clip-remover" tool. Its kinda like a flathead screwdriver, only with 2 heads, side by side. They slip around the base of the clip and it should come out without too much prying force. If you you do break them, they're only a buck or 2 for a bag of like 6 at the auto parts stores. The 2 bolts in the fender come out easiest with a 1/4 or 3/8 wratchet, and the socket is either an 8mm or a 10mm. I haven't done one in a while, I don't remember which. I don't remember about whether or not you should remove the headlights first.

XMBlackGT1
08-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Got it off! Thanks for the info. What I saw underneath was horrifying. I'm surprised anything works properly- there are components of the car pushed into the radiator, the radiator hose has a giant kink in it. You can see exactly where the other car hit- its all still bent up- wow what a crappy repair job. Seeing how this car was repaired, i'd think several times before I took a car to Noonan Pontiac in Sterling Heights Michigan for any type of body work. (good thing i dont live nearby there lol) Hopefully the lawsuit works to get rid of it! thanks