Does everyones transmission blow up, or just mine? - Rant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does everyones transmission blow up, or just mine? - Rant

99StudlyGT
08-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Foreward - Dear GM, Ford, and Chrystler. I would love for one of the above listed companies to create a car that doesn't suck.

I always loved my GA. I shrugged at the thousands of usless dollars spent on maintaining my GA because I love the car. I even put a body kit on it, rims etc. Then at 70000 miles, my transmission blows up. Why? I have no more third and fourth gear. Have I been too hard on my third and fourth gears? Did I do something wrong? Just to make me feel better, I would love for some members of the GA community to give me a quick tally of how many people had their transmissions be destroyed at relativley low miles. This thread is somewhat usless, but I really would love to know if I just have the grand am from hell, or if all grand am's suck.
Thank you, Michael.

CelticSkyhawk
08-20-2004, 10:49 PM
You're not alone. Mine started acting up a while back, not wanting to go into first gear. Goes in for a tranny flush and diagnostic very soon I hope.

asepgrad98
08-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Did you really think a trans with no dipstick would be well designed?

AznGA
08-21-2004, 04:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad tranny. Mine is fine at 50000 miles.

XMBlackGT1
08-21-2004, 07:06 AM
You're not alone- the transmission on my 01 blew up completely at 7,000 miles. Good thing warranty replaced it. Hope yours comes out all good.

95-GT
08-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Your not alone. My trans on my 95, with 87k miles on it for no reason blew while normal driving.

99StudlyGT
08-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I feel a little better now. I guess it's the new cool thing for transmissions to die. I ended up having a complete rebuild for $1900. It's fine now, I guess, but now i'm scared to drive. I don't want anymore repairs. There goes my S&S money... I still have love for the GA though..

tranceokido
08-22-2004, 01:42 PM
77K and still runing strong..and I beat the **** out of it.

coupe
08-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Same here. 60k on it and i havent exactly treated her great. I get a tranny flush once a year though.....dunno if that helps but it seems to.

gorillapimp
08-22-2004, 04:16 PM
i had 80,000 miles on mine the valve-body vent also my second gear. i needed a new rebuild.

JesseGT1
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Mine went at 40k miles, ext. warrenty took care of it, I installed a tranny cooler for pice of mind and a tranny temp gauge to keep an eye on the old 'slushbox'.

nomojo
08-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Gotta say guys, I dont exactly baby the car, and I'd say that the tranny's are pretty solid. That said, I hate everything else breaking, so I'm not sticking up for 'em :)

Now, if you've changed a bunch of stuff on the car to add horseys, then the tranny will die. Why? the 4T45E is running at EXACTLY its maximum torque output. Increase the torque on your car without changing the tranny, and you'll find yourself with a real useless $4000 dollar pound of metal.

Just my 2 c.

Intuit57
08-23-2004, 07:02 AM
I've just been released (for how long?!) from Transmission-Hell! I had a rebuild that didn't help then finally a valve body replaced..so far so good..except it bangs into gear a bit hard/rough from P to D etc. This car has been so efffed-up..but I still love all the good things about it.

Slim
08-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Did you really think a trans with no dipstick would be well designed?

It's got a dipstick.... It's called your pinky finger. lol

blckgrndam99
08-23-2004, 09:08 AM
well my trans has some problem to since about 55,000. We took it to the dealer and they couldnot even diagnos it. We took it to 2 tranny shops and they cant diagnos it. my problem is the trans literally rumbles like bass does when you accelerate slowly to about 40mph. We got a thing signed by pon-are-cars-suck-tiac saying that the problem will never get worse but is completley unfixible unless a completely new rtans is put in (no rebuilds) Noone in there right mind will by a car with any tranny poblem so Now im stuck with this damn car untill it dies or i total it god forbid. Dont think ooo im just a whining 16 year old, b/c i pay for my whole car. I only wanted GA for about 1 year or so then i was gunna sell it and get another GTP. Now i have this car forever.

coupe
08-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Now, if you've changed a bunch of stuff on the car to add horseys, then the tranny will die. Why? the 4T45E is running at EXACTLY its maximum torque output. Increase the torque on your car without changing the tranny, and you'll find yourself with a real useless $4000 dollar pound of metal.

Just my 2 c.

I have headers, CAI, full exhuast and a few other little things and have taken the car from high 15's to really really low 15's.
My tranny is fine. It dont do anything that worries me at all. Tranny flush once a year and its holding up beautiful. How long that will last i dunno but at this rate i would have to say a long time.

Lilred96gagt
08-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Boy I'm glad I have a 5spd and an Uncle that owns a Trans shop in Jersey who said stay with a stick if you can get it. 220000 on my old 92 no problems, 80000 on the 93 HO no probs, 81000 on the 96 no problems. I think he is one to something. My "Twin's" 96 w/ auto "Blew Up" @ 85,000 mi.

spydave00
08-26-2004, 09:34 PM
My tranny started acting up around 100K. It would slip when shifting from reverse to drive. Make sure you treat her nicely and completely stop before jamming the gas from reverse to drive.

Luckily I had the tranny flush which was real nasty looking and havent had any problems so far. Good old Uncle Ed's Oil Shop!

I am babying her now because I cant afford to put any more money in to this car.

Best of Luck

Blight
09-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Mine has been like this: I get into some stop and go traffic, and all of a sudden when i want to move (because the light turns green) it barely goes anywhere. I can go up to 2grand and the damn thing barely moves. I just keep trying to ease it into movement so i dont destroy the thing, i dont understand it. Its a 2000 GAGT. All i have is exhaust, and a throttle position enhancer. I have an intake on the way since last March, maybe my car will die before i even get the darn thing.

Panacea
09-01-2004, 06:05 AM
I have 49,000 miles on mine and it's starting to have symptoms. I beat it pretty hard, so I'm not suprised. I just hope when it goes my ext. warranty will cover it.

2002AmSE
09-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Ahh, well, I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up sometime.

My car is currently low mileage car, at 40,500 miles.

I haven't gotten around to asking this question, maybe I will open a thread about it soon. My transmission whines/whirrs, and has been whining since before i hit the 30k mile mark. It also shifts into gear (a.k.a. park>drive/reverse or neutral>drive/reverse or reverse to drive) very softly. My moms car, which has got more than 60k miles on it is having no problems at all and hers shifts about 5 times stronger than mine does(yeah, mine is THAT weak!)

I don't really think the weak shift is a bad thing because it shifts firm through the rest of the gears, its just the transmission whine from about 15mph and anything faster than that in any gear that bothers me. It makes me wonder if my transmission has something floating in it or if metallic particles are circulating or something. I even hear the whine after I put it in neutral while the car is moving, and its not from the wheel bearings either because it distinctly changes pitch with interal transmission output speed but sounds slightly different in neutral.

EDIT: Had a typo when typing in my mileage

Jagey
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
many people are pushing 100 hp over stock through the tranny, they seem to be lasting well, except Kmangt1

MetaGTP1
09-01-2004, 10:41 PM
many people are pushing 100 hp over stock through the tranny, they seem to be lasting well, except Kmangt1Jaketuff had his tranny redone also. I didn't have a tranny cooler, which I have now.:)

remiljr
12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I have a 161k on my original trans, works great, beat the hell out of it everywhere i go. It had a trans line break on me about 4 times and leave me stranded. I just connect the line again, add fluid and go...no slips shutter or anything.....

bringing it back! Im sure were not having trans problems with these cars, my 08 gp gxp, theres a car with trans problems for you.....

westerndragon
12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
hmm i guess i got lucky 197k miles of hard driving racing and horsing around and not a skip....

lennyzgt
12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Gotta say guys, I dont exactly baby the car, and I'd say that the tranny's are pretty solid. That said, I hate everything else breaking, so I'm not sticking up for 'em :)

Just my 2 c.

2003 sales brochure states that the 3400 makes 195 ft/lbs of torque
2003 GM service manual states maximum engine torque for 4t45-e is 215 ft/lbs of torque
granted that theres not much room between maximum and rated torque, but there shouldnt be an issue. I have had to have my trans rebuilt, but what do you aspect from doing countless burnouts and beating the crap outta a car? I had a set of General Altimax HP tires put on my car when i first got it and ripped threw those in less then 10k miles, i bought another set and Im going to be going on season two in the spring and could possibly get three seasons out of them. I have changed how i drive my car after putting $2200 into it.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm at 150K now, I have what I like to call, a happy balance of normal and hard driving. The trans has never slipped, whined or anything. I have some receipts from the previous owner, and from carfax, never a trans warranty issue. I feel like particular driving habits play a big role...

2003 sales brochure states that the 3400 makes 195 ft/lbs of torque
2003 GM service manual states maximum engine torque for 4t45-e is 215 ft/lbs of torque
granted that theres not much room between maximum and rated torque, but there shouldnt be an issue. I have had to have my trans rebuilt, but what do you aspect from doing countless burnouts and beating the crap outta a car? I had a set of General Altimax HP tires put on my car when i first got it and ripped threw those in less then 10k miles, i bought another set and Im going to be going on season two in the spring and could possibly get three seasons out of them. I have changed how i drive my car after putting $2200 into it.

I've never beat on mine like that, never did "burnouts" or any other lame sh!t like that. With the alignment in check, and rotate the tires every 7000, you should be able to get +50,000 miles out of a good set of all seasons. I got 46,000 miles out of my General Exclaim UHPs on my 17"s.

lennyzgt
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
i went from a 86 Dodge D150 that i beat the crap out of and couldnt do any major damage to, to my GA and blew up the torque converter which screwed the valve body. It wasnt the cars fault that the trans went, it was my abusive driving and i admit to it, other wise my GA has been a terrific car.
Burnouts are fun, i just do them in the Javelin AMX now, which can handle the abuse.

i also take the 195 ft/lbs statement back i guess thats for an SE, the GT is 205 ft/lbs...some how.

Cacique
12-28-2011, 11:13 AM
98k no problems for now

AaronGTR
12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Way to bring back a 7 year old thread guys.