Ebrake stretched out.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ebrake stretched out..

BadGT471
08-24-2004, 01:55 AM
How far should the E-brake on a 2002 GAGT pull up? Mine has always pulled all the way up, but now it goes all the way up, and it's really loose.. It use to feel like I was pulling up on something and u would hear clicks, but now it's super easy to pull up and theres no real clicks... my "brake" light still comes on, but i'm wondering if I stretched out my ebrake cable.. does this happen often? How can I tell, and if I did stretch it out, what do I need to do to put it back to how it use to be?

Thanks,
Jeff

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 02:23 AM
I think to put it back to how it used to be is just hold the button in and just do a pumping motion with it. Its supposed to tighten itself back up when you do that if i remember right..

AznGA
08-24-2004, 04:32 AM
Mine needed a new handle assembly when this happened.

eric99gt
08-24-2004, 07:23 AM
had the problem...had to have the ebrake cable replaced

Slim
08-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Our e-brakes are supposed to be self adjusting. They are to a certain extent. To adjust it, pull it up hard and release it about 5 or 6 times. If there's still a lot of slack you'll either need a new cable or need to adjust the shoes inside the rotor (GTs only).

I adjusted my e-brake shoes when I replaced my rotors. Made a huge difference. I only need to pull up my handle about 3 clicks until it's fully engaged.