Car Missing Out and Back-firing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Missing Out and Back-firing

balludc
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
First off, I got a new head set a while ago. Periodically been going back to the shop for things that shouldve been taken care first (which I'm not paying for them, the shop is)

Anyway.... I got my car back yesterday (from replacing a gasket on/near the cam housing). It misses out and backfires. When I dont have any throttle on (the car is at 900-1000 rpms), theres a whistle.

I know its not a bad cylinder, nor spark plug, or of that nature. To replace the gasket that was fixed early this week, they had to remove the timing chain.

What the hell did they do to my timing chain to f*ck it up like that? It's going back tomorrow (if i can borrow my parents camaro), but I'd like to know how you can adjust the timing on these. I won't be doing it, since the shop will take care of it for me since they screwed up.

Anyone else had this problem?... how'd you fix it?

btw: I have the 2.3 quad4 dohc engine

-Derek

mr_eh
08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
best bet is to post this on quad4forums.com there arent many 2.3s, ok theres like no 2.3s on here =P

Slim
08-24-2004, 12:57 PM
ok theres like no 2.3s on here =P

I bet Matt would disagree with you. :)

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/member.php?u=968

mr_eh
08-24-2004, 12:58 PM
i said theres like no 2.3's, not there are no 2.3's, weeee different

Slim
08-24-2004, 12:59 PM
i said theres like no 2.3's, not there are no 2.3's, weeee different

I'm being picky... No, refers to none. "Like no" isn't proper grammar so it doesn't count. :p

mr_eh
08-24-2004, 01:00 PM
you sure are canadian

balludc
08-24-2004, 09:17 PM
lmao...

i know i know... i should ask other quad owners. But the 3400 v6 has a timing chain also ;).. haha. figured I'd get some kind of response from someone who dealt with one before.

-dc

99GTPOS
08-25-2004, 06:21 AM
I know nothing about these motors, but it sounds like either it's firing at the wrong time, or the valve events are off. Soooo.... that leads me to think either the cam is phased wrong (very possible with replacing the timing chain), or if there is a cam timing sensor that triggers your ignition system, maybe it is off somehow.

Lilred96gagt
08-25-2004, 06:50 PM
I had the same problem w/ my 1993 2.3 HO and the 96 2.4. If the timing chain isn't put on the same side facing out as before it was taking out it makes funny sounds. You have the LO quad correct? Also double check the Coil tower and the black boots under the IDI cover for cracks and arcs. Rule that crap out and replace if needed. As for timing the engone, you can't. If the timing was off, the car WILL NOT START! On the cam gears there are points that must line up with the 1 cyl at TDC. this is the only way to time our engines. Good Luck!!