1994 heater core install help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1994 heater core install help

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 01:32 PM
I gotta put a new on in my brother's car and I dont really have any clue on how to get to it... only know its behind the dash somewhere. and how should I start to go about ripping that out?

Can someone give me some help please? :iconfused

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 02:03 PM
K... found out ya really dont have to remove the entire dash... just the center console.

But how to take that out is a mystery. I cant find any screws holding that damn thing in!

Matt95GT
08-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Wow... something technical I can actually contribute to. :D

To remove the center console:
1. Remove shifter knob/assembly. (sorry, I do not know how to remove the auto one)
2. Open the console storage, lift up on front lip and continue to pop off the top area of the console. Unscrew lighter bulb and pop lighter socket power clip off.
3. There are 6 bolts holding console down. 2 are at the bottom of the storage, 2 more pairs around the shifter under the top piece you just removed.

You'll also need to remove the heater ducting that routes heat under the front 2 seats. There's a couple small screws to do so, and the end of the duct pops out from the "tunnel" duct that runs under the carpet. The heater core is just above that. (I've never actually changed it, so you're on your own there)

Some pics you may find useful...

Console after step #2
http://www.fazeshift.org/pics/albums/userpics/04-02-04/normal_DCP04780.JPG

Heater duct that needs to be removed (the dark piece behind the wire)
http://www.fazeshift.org/pics/albums/userpics/08-12-04/normal_DCP05457.JPG

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Sweet Matt! thanks a ton! Now... trying to figure out how to get this damn auto knob off... then i'll almost have it!

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Alright... I've look at every aspect of this knob... I dont see any clips/screws/bolts that hold this thing on.

How do you get it off????????????

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 03:22 PM
AAAarrrrrrrrrghhh!!!! Found it. Shifter knob removal = Clip toward the front of the car (right under the button) for those who wanna know.

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Red = 2 screws I've found
Yellow = tubing that goes to defrost area
Blue = where it comes apart

Those are the only screws I can find... and how do i get that entire black piece out with those tubes (yellow) hooked up?

Azrael
08-24-2004, 04:38 PM
AAAarrrrrrrrrghhh!!!! Found it. Shifter knob removal = Clip toward the front of the car (right under the button) for those who wanna know.
Too bad I didn't read this thread sooner as I had the answer. A better explanation would be to set the parking brake and shift the car into neutral or 3. then dig the staple-like pin from the slit under the shift button. Shifting the car into N or 3 makes it easier to get the top of the center console off.

AaronGAGT
08-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Shifting the car into N or 3 makes it easier to get the top of the center console off.

damn! i didnt think of that.. instead i just ripped it out while the whole thing bent into funny shapes... but it came out :) Still tryin to figure this black plastic thing out.

Matt95GT
08-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Red = 2 screws I've found
Yellow = tubing that goes to defrost area
Blue = where it comes apart

Those are the only screws I can find... and how do i get that entire black piece out with those tubes (yellow) hooked up?

The tubes (circled in yellow) pop off. THey are just press fit... just need to carefully squeeze and pull to get them off the little nubs that hold it on. I will admit that piece is semi-PIA to remove. I accidently cracked mine a bit in the haste of trying to fix my car before a thunderstorm rolled in.