Flushing Coolant.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Flushing Coolant..

NorKoastal
08-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Where is the drain plug on the radiator??? Is it best to hook up a hose to this plug to catch the fluid??

What is the best way to fluch the fluid out of the car?? Im thinking a good old hose after the majority of the crap has drained..

Prestone kit??
Is the bleeder valve necessary to open during the flush??
How do I know if I need to open it??

Pics requested if available...

Thanks.

Molson
08-26-2004, 11:52 AM
put pan under rad. Open drain cack. click search. drink beer.

Slim
08-26-2004, 11:53 AM

Not enough beer drinking in there. You should be on your third by the time the coolant has drained.

Molson
08-26-2004, 11:55 AM
very true.

NorKoastal
08-27-2004, 05:25 PM

:whistle: Ok well. Is it the cream looking thing in the front right bottom of the radiator??? (facing the front of the car)

Molson
08-27-2004, 08:43 PM
itlooks like a drain plug. unscrew to open. if you unscrew it and coolant doesn't come out, then its the wrong one,.

NorKoastal
09-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry for being too general.....

Where on the radiator is it???

What color is the drain plug???

I looked and didnt see it... Im most likely blind but help me out..

Thnks.

juanvan
09-11-2004, 07:09 PM
take the plate off that is covering the oil filter
On the passanger side should be the petkock to drain the radiator
Its black btw

Then drink beer and a shot to top it off

2002AmSE
09-12-2004, 09:50 AM
quote: take the plate off that is covering the oil filter
On the passanger side should be the petkock to drain the radiator
Its black btw

Then drink beer and a shot to top it off ...:endquote

uhh, you shouldnt have to take any plates off, its not near the oil filter, that could be the coolant drain for the engine block, but not the radiator, either that or he is messing with you, i would look for that myself but i know where the radiator drain plug is.

RADIATOR DRAIN PLUG:

Ok, on the far right side of the radiator there either a little thing that is green that looks like you can turn it with your fingers(which was the case on my moms 99), or it is a cream colored thing that looks like it would take an allen wrench. The operation is the same though, it loosens then it turns and comes out towards you, but the fluid doesnt come out right there, but instead it comes out of the bottom of the radiator. Basically the plug is a shaft that blocks the real hole directly in line with it. If you see the drain knob, look directly under the radiator in line with the knob(which is behind the flap that gets scraped when you back out of your driveway with low clearance), the fluid comes out there.

If you dont see the hole it comes out, then just simply put your bucket/drain pan below the knob and open it, it will go in the bucket/drain pan just fine because it flows straight down.

Personally I used two of the one gallon ice cream buckets. It seemed that more than a gallon would come out at a time, about a gallon and a half for me out of the radiator, so just turn the knob shut when youve drained a gallon, put the other ice cream bucket under there and open it back up and let it continue draining.

I just flushed both my car and my moms car in the past week, so I had to figure the same thing out, and search didnt help me much at all either because everyone was giving smart aleck remarks just like they just gave you, so i figured it out myself and everything was great.

Have fun!!!

If you have any other questions ill be happy to help you

NorKoastal
09-23-2004, 09:26 PM
2002amse Thnks.... Im only at 36K but its time..... Forget 50K

2002AmSE
09-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Yep, no problem, let me know how it went when you are done

NorKoastal
09-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Im getting springs, struts tommorow... Thought I had it made untill I found out I should get strut mounts while everything is out.. $228... Thats more than the springs or struts.. LoL