Those who have/had idle problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Those who have/had idle problems

Poker Sting
08-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Ok, new to this forum. Looks good and very informative!

Was hoping to get some help, cause I don't feel like getting ripeed for $70/hr by the dealer!

I have a rough idle on my car, developed right after I changed the spark plugs and wires (V6). However, when I hit the gas it seems fine and no hesitation. I also noticed when I am stopped on (up)hill the idling gets a lot worse. There are no codes on the OBD.

Thanks guys!

Poker Sting
08-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Anyone have any input here?

CyberRad
08-26-2004, 02:28 PM
I personally don't have a 6 cyl. but what kind of plugs did you put in? If they are the same as stock then did you check the gap? What is the rating on the plugs? How about pulling your car into a dark garage and have someone crank the engine and see if you are arcing any where.

Poker Sting
08-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Hmmm, they are platinum plugs and gapped ok...but what is arcing?

CyberRad
08-27-2004, 06:45 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong but it either when the plugs spark outside of the block or it is when the wire sparks to the block instead of to the plug. You can also tell if this is your problem by looking at where the plugs are and looking for any type of disfiguration(Melted Metal, etc...).

Poker Sting
08-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know where the TPS switch is on our cars? If I'm correct, this is adjustable.
GT V6...

CyberRad
08-27-2004, 07:58 AM
http://www.pfyc.com/supportfiles/6cyltps.jpg

Poker Sting
08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks CyberRad for the help and photo...I think I'm gonna take it in to the shop, I just can't get rid of this rough idle. Accelaeration is fine...which is whats throwing me off. Cleaned the Throttle Body last night and it didn't help. I may try replacing the plug wires, but I think I'm wasting my time...I think I may have a bad vavle or something. Don't know of anyway to test that though.

Thanks again.

Poker Sting
08-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Wait, if I had a leaky or bad valve wouldn't that trigger a OBD Driveability code?