Brake Caliper Slider Bolt is DONE [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Caliper Slider Bolt is DONE

spydave00
08-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Hello,

I found an unusual problem on my brake job today. On my front passenger side after inspecting the caliper the slider bolt on the bottom has rusted and ceized up for good. I had three guys take a hammer to it and nothing. The top slider bolt comes out no problem. I think the boot around the housing leaked water and rusted over time. This is what is causing the creaking noise I have heard about from so many on my car.

Well off to get a new part to fix that. I am just wondering what the name of the peice is that has the slider bolt housings. Its the smaller peice of the caliper where you bolt in to. Is this called a caliper bracket? Where can I get one of these or do I have to buy a whole new caliper? I need it tomorrow so no PFYC or mail orders will work. I need something like autozone tomorrow that carries this.

Thanks in Advance!

Dave spydave00@hotmail.com

RedGT2004
08-26-2004, 10:38 PM
I think the part you need is called a anchor plate.

Edit: its not called an anchor rather a caliper bracket

RedGT2004
08-26-2004, 10:43 PM
let me get a pic and see if is the one your thinking of.

spydave00
08-26-2004, 10:50 PM
I think it is called a caliper bracket, your pic did not go through send it to my email above.

thanks

swordfencer
08-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Yes, that is the caliper bracket. Those bolts are a pain to get out. I think most people replace them after they take them out.

spydave00
08-26-2004, 11:19 PM
The problem is I cannot get the bottom slider out.

Actually, they should not be a pain to get out... I am not talking about the hex bolts, I am talking about the slider bolts that the hex bolts bolt in to. The top one pulls out easily and is nicely lubricated with grease. I am driving with the bottom one seized.

They are supposed to slide back and forth when the cylinder is compressed. What is happening is I am getting that creak noise and one pad is wearing a lot faster than the other. There is no way for me to get that slider out, it has rusted shut. I need a new caliper bracket. Where can I get one? Autozone?

spydave00
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
let me get a pic and see if is the one your thinking of.

That pic is similiar, but I am talking about the part where there is no screws in that picture, there should be a rubber seal and slider bolts that can be pulled out by hand.

AaronGAGT
08-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Time to whip out liquid wrench and le torch.