Need help with idle problem please.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with idle problem please....

rizer
08-31-2004, 11:50 PM
The grammys been running kinda weird lately and need some help on possible cause. Im heading 3 hours back south in the morning so i wanna see if its possibly something easy to fix before i head off to airport.

Lately its been idling high. Like when in park, it idles between 2k and almost 3500k. Theres even times i'll sit there and watch it slowly idle back down to about 800rpms, then back up to 2k.

When in gear holding still, the rpms are about 1500. Its pretty nice just letting off the gas and hitting 35mph w/o even touching gas.

Reason its annoying me is because its killing my tranny slamning into gear when going into drive.(not to mention annoying idling at a drivethru with the flowmaster just a roaring, heh) Tonight for some reason, it was idling fine in park around 700, but when i shifted to drive, it slamned into gear still. Makes me sick everytime i hear it

Any idea's? Havent really had a chance to get under the hood and look at everything due to family death/etc. Should also mention its not all the time, just does it more than it doesnt

miksgtx
09-01-2004, 07:57 PM
My girfriends car is doing about the same thing sometimes it acts just fine but other times is surges and races to 3500 or more, I have been told it may be a possible vacuum leak, maybe a faulty Map sensor I'm not sure...any help..please this is very dangerous...Mik

MetaGTP1
09-01-2004, 08:07 PM
The grammys been running kinda weird lately and need some help on possible cause. Im heading 3 hours back south in the morning so i wanna see if its possibly something easy to fix before i head off to airport.

Lately its been idling high. Like when in park, it idles between 2k and almost 3500k. Theres even times i'll sit there and watch it slowly idle back down to about 800rpms, then back up to 2k.

When in gear holding still, the rpms are about 1500. Its pretty nice just letting off the gas and hitting 35mph w/o even touching gas.

Reason its annoying me is because its killing my tranny slamning into gear when going into drive.(not to mention annoying idling at a drivethru with the flowmaster just a roaring, heh) Tonight for some reason, it was idling fine in park around 700, but when i shifted to drive, it slamned into gear still. Makes me sick everytime i hear it

Any idea's? Havent really had a chance to get under the hood and look at everything due to family death/etc. Should also mention its not all the time, just does it more than it doesntCheck your TPS and the wiring connected to it. :)

rizer
09-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Check your TPS and the wiring connected to it. :)

Bingo, took it in this morning because it was going crazy. Ended up being the TPS, they also mentioned something bout it looked like its been messed with before and they couldnt reset it to zero or something like that.

UNCTYPE-S
09-02-2004, 11:29 AM
seems like that is happening to a lot of members lately.

rizer
09-03-2004, 12:40 AM
yeah, ive noticed that also. Just glad i dont have to hear it slam into gear when shifting into drive anymore :shuddersatsound:

TheShizzy
09-09-2004, 06:47 AM
ive been having the same problem ever since i replaced my top end. i was also told it was the TPS or vacuum leak from teh dealer and a couple people from the boards. I bought a new TPS yesterday and same thing. when i started her up, it quickly rose to 4k and wouldnt let up. does anybody have any ideas the best way to check for vacuum leaks??

dxtreme_85
09-09-2004, 08:11 AM
It could also be your IAC...idle air control valve. The IAC is a plunger that is electronically controlled that opens and closes the throttle plate. This is mostly used when the car is in cold start to allow the engine to heat up more. Problem is, sometimes it can become gunked up with carbon deposits and get stuck in the open position, therefor not letting the throttle plate close all of the way. Its really easy to fix. There are two are three torx bolts that hold it into place, and it has an electrical connector. Just pull it out and clean it with carbon/throttle body cleaner. Just be sure to not push the plunger in or pull it out, b/c you could damage it.

Just my $.02.

Later, Terry

dxtreme_85
09-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Imagine that...I say something about IAC valve and tonight mine is starting to go. At least...I hope that is what it is. Car is idling at about 1100-1200 now. Going to track tomorrow, so I'll fix it when I do my pre-race check and tune-up. I hope its not a bad TPS...I don't feel like purchasing one of those after having to buy a damn Headlight Retainer Ring from the dealer two days ago.

TheShizzy
09-12-2004, 06:12 PM
welp, my luck is officially in the $hitter. I bought a a IAC sensor, and nope, that dint do shiot either! so ive spent $170 on sensors that dint help!! I am ****ed and about to burn this this pos to the ground! prolly not, but still im ****ed.

dxtreme_85
09-12-2004, 06:44 PM
well....you could have just cleaned the IAC...thats what I did the other day and the high idle went away. just my .02

rizer
09-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Take it in?

TheShizzy
09-14-2004, 07:33 AM
yep, its in the garage as of yesterday morning, they told my ma it should be done today, but dint tell either of us what the problem was, weird. oh well, as long as shes up and running, i dont care. im just eager to see what i run at the tracks. low 15s hopefully.

Blackrider
09-14-2004, 08:11 AM
well....you could have just cleaned the IAC...thats what I did the other day and the high idle went away. just my .02
I did that worked for aobut 2 weeks before mine came back, I have been fighting this for about 6 months, Good old Battery reset takes care of it for about 3 weeks :) But I'm going to double check my TPS again.

dxtreme_85
09-14-2004, 08:52 AM
I've cleaned mine twice now...first time, I didn't get the idle for about 7 months.....this time..I guess we'll just have to see

TheShizzy
09-15-2004, 06:46 AM
aight, should be getting my car back today, i was at teh garage when they started it, it was still up at around 2500, but i guess it was due to the throttle bracket being a little loose, so he just bent it back a little, and now it purrs like a kitty. i cant wait to pick her up today!!