P0341 Help with Camshaft Position Sensor Please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : P0341 Help with Camshaft Position Sensor Please

FieryCloakMan
09-02-2004, 10:59 PM
:violin Ok, the past few weeks since I started really modifying my 1999 SE (3400) my car has thrown a few P0341-incorrect camshaft position codes, as well as another code related to my lack of a downstream 02 sensor, which I ordered a sim from casper.elec's which should clear that up.

In the past month, I have added a warm-air intake, and totally redone the exhaust from the downpipe back. It now consists of a highflow muffler and cat, no resonator, just the stock downpipe, the highflow, no 02 sensor or resonator, and straight stock pipe still in the same place to the new muffler, which is also highflow. I've noticed a -huge- performance gain then what I expected getting rid of our ****ty, 15.6lb stock cat.

I don't know why any of this would affect the camshaft position, with the exception of the variance in backpressure created by the rather drastic modification to the exhaust I made. It's all welded, no leaks... I have my own scanner so I can read the trouble codes myself. I am fairly sure the second code is a result of my downstream 02 sensor being non-existant, however that dosen't calibrate A/F ratio, so that would have nothing to do with the engine running differently, creating more strain (or less) on the cam, etc.

Could the car be running lean due to the intake, and just need a relearn for the cam position to set things right? I honestly don't know much about valvetrain or engine internals. Could it be a bad pushrod? The car just hit 1k miles, only other mods to it, engine wise, are bosh +4's and upgraded plug wires.

Any ideas, any help is greatly appreciated. :hang: I'll repost and/or add any information I get from reading the trouble codes off the car itself incase the one I posted isn't right. Looking at the Haynes manual I have now, the camshaft position code is the right one, however it may also have another code going off that I just didn't read closely enough before deleting. The Codes trigger every 50 miles or so. Haven't noticed any loss of power, except a metal-on-metal noice which has gotten continually louder in the last 10k miles I've driven. Very hard to hear unless I'm in an inclosed area, like pulling into my garage, seems to die down a lot when the car is in drive, or after it warms up. Shifts, otherwise runs fine. The noice seems to be coming from the fan belt, however it's honestly hard to tell considering the engine itself has 100k miles on it, the exhaust I added, and the intake all running, it somewhat drowns out the noise.

As I said before I rambled on excessively, any help is greatly appreciated here with anyone who knows anything about why my cam sensor would be triggering like this.

juanvan
09-03-2004, 09:04 AM
maybe the cam shaft sensor is bad, and just tossing the code out for the hell of it ~ kinda funny that it happed right after modding it.

You would not be having any back pressure unless one of the pipe is not shapped right...

But that metal on metal noise u should look into...

With out all the extra words could u make the problem list smaller hehe kinda hard to read a novel at work

coupe
09-03-2004, 09:55 AM
That metal on metal sound near your belt is most likely your A/C clutch....the bearings are most likely shot.

FieryCloakMan
09-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Sorry about the excessive wording, just trying to get it all down.

The cam sensor could be bad... I'd have to look into that, but it's not malfunctioning that often, 3-4x a week... Also my idle has been rough the past 10k miles or so.

What coupe said makes a lot of sense, it does sound like a pulley on the belts, but like I said, it's hard to distinguish exactly where the noise is coming from. It's been around for awhile (25k miles or so) but just recently started to get loud.

I wouldn't know how to check the sensor, is there a way to do it without having a dealer run a diagnostic on it? Even if I got to it, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was bad or not unless it looked fried.... etc

Thanks for all you're help

coupe
09-04-2004, 09:01 AM
To know if it is your A/C thingy you turn on your A/C and the sound should stop. If the sound stops then its your A/C clutch. In that case just replace the A/C compresser.
The bad idle, does the rpms rise and drop by chance?

FieryCloakMan
09-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Last night after parking on a hill for 2 hours, a very steep one, my car would start and immediately die. I fixed it temporarially by giving it some gas until I could slip it in drive at low RPM's, it never stalled while I was going, only when I tried starting it. 10 miles afterwards I stopped and restarted it. It started fine, but had a few hard RPM spikes, dropped to real low, then high briefly, then a little lower, then high, then evened out after a few times.

So yes, during the rough idle, the rpm's did move previously to my episode last night, but very small gaps in variance, hardly noticeable. It's just a hard idle. I'm thinking one of the pulley's on the accessory belt blew the bearings controlling it... just my .02$ Thanks for the continued info, I appreciate it

coupe
09-04-2004, 04:57 PM
That would be your TPS. replace that also. Its not expensive nor hard to install, maybe 10 minutes tops and about $30. Thats whats causin your idle to change like that.....its commin. But get it fixed soon.

FieryCloakMan
09-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Awesome info, thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it a lot. It is my AC clutch that was making that noise.

Any idea why my engine is throwin cam codes tho?

Thanks much for any continued help

FieryCloakMan
09-05-2004, 12:07 AM
What's would happen if I took the AC compressor off the belt drive all together? Just got a smaller belt, and disconnect the AC Compressor all together... or if I took it out and threw some kind of pulley in there which would allow me to keep the same size belt... anyone done this before? The AC Compressor is over $200 and I honestly don't feel like spending that for something I never use.

coupe
09-05-2004, 12:03 PM
The CAM shaft code im not sure on. The belt thingy im not sure either, i dont know what size you would need. Do a search maybe someone has done it before.