A/C blows warm, compressor works. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C blows warm, compressor works.

abusedgt97
09-05-2004, 12:26 PM
I have a 97 gagt with a 3100. When I bought the car the guy said the ac did not work and that it blows warm, she also said it can not be fixed with a recharge kit. When I turn on the ac the system blows out warm air. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks.

coupe
09-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Get new compresser.

MagusXIII
09-05-2004, 02:58 PM
You say the compressor works. Then I take it you have seen the clutch engage and disengage? First thing to do is connect a manifold gauge to it and observe your high and low side pressures. If the discharge (high) side has extremely low pressure and the the suction (low) side is rather high, that is probably a good sign that the compressor has taken a dump. But consult a GM shop manual first.

Another possibility is that there is an OVERCHARGE condition. In that case, there is so much refrigerant that it cannot expand in the evaporator. In this case, the manifold gauge will indicate that. I would NOT recommend a cheap gauge from the parts stores that clips on only to the suction side. I had a gauge not function properly right out of the box. By the time it indicated the proper pressure in the suction side, I had actually overcharged it. The manifold gauge then read over 350psi on the high side...when I should only have 250-270psi on the high side at 80 degrees on my car!

Lastly, is the clutch field coil generating enough current to hold the clutch firmly against the pulley rather than allow it to slip? Or is there just barely enough R134 in the system to keep the clutch cycling, yet not enough to properly cool? Once again, a manifold gauge set will tell that.

Don