Water Pump Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Question

RavynX
09-05-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong w/ my car. I was searching these boards and someone said they heard a "humming" sound and the sound increased when their revs increased, which is exactly what's happening to mine. But mine is more of a whine (to me at least) and ignorant people have mistaken it for a supercharger. :rolleyes: You can really hear it in 1st & 2nd gear, but once I'm rollin' at around 40mph in normal traffic I can barely hear it. I can hear it if the A/C is turned on or off.

Skip below if you want.
*****Background*****
The whine came in after I had the belt and tensioner replaced. Took it back to the shop, they told me it was the alternator. I replaced that myself, still there. Had the shop replace the tensioner under warranty, whine is still there. My friend said it's either the A/C Compressor or it could be the timing chain making the noise. My car is at 114,600 miles right now.

I just got my car back from the shop a few days ago after getting both the master and slave cylinders replaced (ugh) and they told me that there is water dripping from the timing chain cover, which is probably hinting at the water pump; I dunno.

My question is, what are the symptoms of a water pump going out and a timing chain going out, separately. What do you think it may be and what do you think would cause this whine in my car?

Thanks a bunch!

Matt's99GT
09-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Well, you might hear a squeeking sound from the pump, indicating a bad bearing. The leak is also another give away. I've never heard of a humming noise coming from a bad water pump, so you have me there. Does your A/C work? Can you hear the compressor cycling on and off while the A/C is running?

RavynX
09-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Well, you might hear a squeeking sound from the pump, indicating a bad bearing. The leak is also another give away. I've never heard of a humming noise coming from a bad water pump, so you have me there. Does your A/C work? Can you hear the compressor cycling on and off while the A/C is running?

I got my A/C recharged about a month ago. Is was down to 0.5 lbs (full is 3 lbs); nice and ice cold now. Yeah, my A/C works, I can hear the compressor cycling as well.

It's not really a humming noise, it's more of a whine, hard to describe. Like I said above, it sounds like a supercharger to the ignorant people out there. I'm still trying to get a sound clip but I can't find anyone with a laptop here on campus. =/