What would happen if your air filter fell off...... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if your air filter fell off......

MSJHWT
09-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm wondering, I'm still dealing with problems from 3+ months ago with my car stalling out while driving, etc. Well one of the things we were trying to determine is what happened before this started up, well about a month before it started stalling, my Cone Filter had fallen off for a possible max of 2 weeks (cleaned before I went to the track one friday, didn't go the next, and then was checking to make sure it was clean the next friday and it had fallen off), so if I did run around with it off for two weeks, what would that effect (which part of the car?) Heads? The dealership is telling me that its my headers and they have to be swapped out with a new exhaust manifold...but I drove around w/ the headers on for 5000 miles before this happened...so my basic questions is, what will sucking up dirt/dust/**** into the engine do?

SC/TGrandAm
09-06-2004, 11:25 AM
it will do alot of things, ive heard where dirt has covered the MAF wires blowing out the MAF. But it can cause extensive damage, like throw a rod later on down the road, bend a rod, etc.

Matt's99GT
09-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Are you throwing any SES lights? Any other problem with driveability other than the stalling? The MAF is very suseptible to damage as stated above. You could also have water in the engine as well, could have been sucked up into the intake without the filter being there. Personally, I would run a can of the pressurized fuel injector and intake cleaner thru the engine, check and change the plugs and go from there. You could prolly also try and run some engine cleaner thru the system and then immediately change the oil. Or take it to a shop and have them do it. Start with the basics and go from there.

coupe
09-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Its not your headers so dont let them tell you that.
Pull out your MAF and see what it looks like.

MSJHWT
09-06-2004, 01:08 PM
No SES lights....but it's the same issue I had in May.... http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33892 ... I just didnt connect the two before, I was thinking more in lines of the nitrous/vaccume lines, but I had a shop all over the vaccume lines as well as myself. I had pulled the MAF right after it happened, and it had like a leaf or some **** on it and a couple bugs on the MAF screen, I cleaned them off, and put the MAF back in. We changed the plugs, oil, and ran fuel pressue cleaner through it. They even hooked up a guage to the fuel pressure line to see if it was the fuel pump or filter, and the guage showed constant pressure, just all injectors shut off at the same time. We thought it was a computer related problem...so I got the SE DHP retune, figured if I needed a new PCM I might as well upgrade, and it didn't change a thing. If water got in the engine I was under the impression it would vapor-lock but that was only temperory...

coupe
09-06-2004, 01:36 PM
I dint think they retuned SE's. Actually im pretty sure they dont.

H.O. Driver
09-06-2004, 01:40 PM
I dint think they retuned SE's. Actually im pretty sure they dont.
The do special tuning, just costs a little more.

MSJHWT
09-06-2004, 02:50 PM
It wasn't something thats like avaible on PFYC or anything, but when I called them origonally to see if they could get me a core PCM, he said they had a V 1.0 for SEs, so I went ahead and got it.

coupe
09-06-2004, 03:00 PM
I dint think of that. Im still supprised they dont have those available for SE's.

MSJHWT
09-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Other than the MAF what engine internals would you guys reccomend looking at? I'll ask them to look at the MAF, though....

MSJHWT
09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Well now I've got more headaches....someone broke into it over the weekend (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40903).....they didn't look at it today, but hopefully soon well figure all this s*** out, and figure out the problem and get me some money back :(