Balding tires and shuddering on the highway [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Balding tires and shuddering on the highway

Azrael
09-06-2004, 02:53 PM
I've been having a slight shuddering when my car reaches 100 Km/h (60mph) and noticed that my front right tire is almost bald while my front left still has tread left. My rear right has about the same tread as the front left. The rear left is almost as bald as the front right.

I was curious if it was safe to swap my right tires so the ones with the decent tread are on front? They'll only be on for a month or 2 as I'll be getting new tires once winter arrives.

SC/TGrandAm
09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
sounds like your alignment is off or something.

BTW its never safe to drive with bald tires, you have no traction and they could blow out at anytime. Swaping them to the back well help nothing, you will still have bald tires.

Azrael
09-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Yea I know that having almost bald tires is never a good thing. I just thought that having tires with different tread depths on the front might put too much stress on an already weak differential. The only thing keeping me from getting new tires right away is that I want dedicated winter tires on my stock rims when the snow hits. Then get new rims with summer tires over the winter. I'll make an appointment and see if an alignment will helps things.

scotiez
09-06-2004, 06:29 PM
I think it would be best to put the bald tires on the back if your not gona get new ones just yet. Atleast if you do get a blow out it won't be on your steering and easier to handle. Good luck

MagusXIII
09-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I think it would be best to put the bald tires on the back if your not gona get new ones just yet. Atleast if you do get a blow out it won't be on your steering and easier to handle. Good luck
It may be a better idea to have the bald tires up front. In wet weather it will not take much to have the rears slide out. Bingo, instant oversteer. And unless you have had years of experience driving RWD cars in the winter, will you be truly ready to retain your composure and correct the car when the ass end is now in front?

Azrael, it is always best to have the tires with the most traction on the rear.

Don

AleroME
09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Swapping tires when 1 side corner of the tire is sworn out is a bad idea. My friend did that because of his negative camber and both of his front inside tires were sworn, so he decided in our automotive school swap the right tire to the left side, left tire to the right side. So he can save some money and wear down the other edge first before buying new tires.

Well that weekend later, he made a quick left turn, and his tire blew out. Cuz of the bald side from the camber wear weakened that side of the tire structure. He ended up crashing the car into a brick wall from the blow out.

scotiez
09-06-2004, 07:55 PM
It may be a better idea to have the bald tires up front. In wet weather it will not take much to have the rears slide out. Bingo, instant oversteer. And unless you have had years of experience driving RWD cars in the winter, will you be truly ready to retain your composure and correct the car when the ass end is now in front?

Azrael, it is always best to have the tires with the most traction on the rear.

Don
Anyone who knows about driving knows it is best to have good tires on your steering. If one was to blow out or Hydroplane from rain your not gona have the ability to stear out of it, and then CRASH your done. Now if you had a rear wheel drive car then you would have no choice but to put good tires on all the away around. Rear for traction and front for stearing. Also my dad owns a Goodyear service shop... and i have learned everything from him by working there since i was 15.

scotiez
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey Azrael
I see your in Manitoba, so you get just about the same weather as i do in North Dakota here. I would just get new tires on as fast as you can. Snow is just around the corner and if you have bald tires now that would be awefull to drive with snow on the ground, no matter where you have them on the car.

Mike Jung
09-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Put the good tires on the rear.

from: Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/installnewtires.jsp)

Watch the video from Michelin (http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip6.html#5)

SC/TGrandAm
09-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Anyone who knows about driving knows it is best to have good tires on your steering. If one was to blow out or Hydroplane from rain your not gona have the ability to stear out of it, and then CRASH your done. Now if you had a rear wheel drive car then you would have no choice but to put good tires on all the away around. Rear for traction and front for stearing. Also my dad owns a Goodyear service shop... and i have learned everything from him by working there since i was 15.

You learned wrong. Good tires on the rear.

Azrael
09-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Put the good tires on the rear.

from: Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/installnewtires.jsp)

Watch the video from Michelin (http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip6.html#5)

Those were very educational and makes sense to me now. I was racing friends in go-karts this summer during rain and I know how hard it is to compensate for fishtailing. Almost impossible to prevent a spinout even with braking + counter-steering. I'll move the good front tire to the back and hope for the best. The worn tires aren't as bad as most of you think. They're far from being slicks but are past their treadwear markers and I still get decent traction in heavy rain so long as I'm careful and don't do anything dumb.

I'd get and install my winter tires as soon as I could but I hear they wear like crazy in warm weather.

Jagey
09-06-2004, 11:05 PM
The good tires go on the back. I learned that the hard way with my winter beater minivan. Bald summer tires in the back, and brand new winter tires in the front = horrible spinouts and fishtails.

the_lzrdkng
09-06-2004, 11:14 PM
i have kinda the same thing, when i bought the 95 gagt i noticed that the front and back tires were definately swapped because the front tires have better tread than the rear. also, i noticed that the rear left tire was low quite a bit so i put some air there to match the other tires, the shuddering at higher speeds was very minimized.

scotiez
09-07-2004, 03:12 PM
I appologize for the miss information i gave about the tires. I asked my dad plus i checked with goodyear to see what they recommend, and the better tires should be in the back. The information what i gave is what it used to be ... and still holds true for semi trucks, but not cars.
I had to check what Goodyear said bout it even though the video from Michelin was good and they make one hect of a tire .... i just don't like them for us people up north ... Michelins traction for snow and ice isn't to good but they wear like iron, takes forever to wear out a set of Michelins.

mr_eh
09-07-2004, 03:17 PM
make sure your calipers arent sticking, had a similiar problem