Tranny flush [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny flush

AznGA
09-06-2004, 08:58 PM
My car just passed 50k miles. I think considering how hard I drive my car, I think it will be a good idea to get new tranny fluid. Is there any other better fluid that is available out there that my local GM dealer can use?

GrahamKracka
09-06-2004, 09:03 PM
royal purple

iceman
09-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Last time I checked, nothing should go in the 4t45 besides stock fluid..

Apollyon9515
09-06-2004, 10:04 PM
I might be mistaken, But i think i can rember people saying that they had tranny problems once they flushed thier tranny. But dont rember who maybe jaketuff? then again i could be thinkin bout something else

Special Ross
09-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Iceman is right, all that you need to put in is stock fluid, NO SYNTHETIC. Many mechanics that I have talked to say no synthetic because it was designed with the dexron III (i believe), synthetic trans fluid is to slippery.

Redog
09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Just had mine done today

$125

iceman
09-07-2004, 01:26 PM
$125! ouch.

iceman1793
09-07-2004, 03:07 PM
I had my done with the stock fluid but I added a pint of Lucas Trans Additive.

VaGT
09-08-2004, 08:12 AM
A Merchants will do it here for $90. The Dealer wants well over $100.

Slim
09-08-2004, 08:27 AM
I had my done with the stock fluid but I added a pint of Lucas Trans Additive.

Eek.... You may want to re-think that. There's a good article about that stuff at www.bobistheoilguy.com

The fluid with the lucas additive foamed like crazy.

carsarecool
09-10-2004, 09:21 AM
i didnt get a flush since my 99 is at 81,000 miles but i did get a pan drop/filter change and they used regular fluid and he put in an additive that gives the fluid synthetic properties, it shifts a little smoother- i'd trust them, it was a transmission specialty shop and its warrentied.

cals400ex
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
i had mine flushed for $60. however, that didn't include dropping the pan or changing the filter.

atc3434
09-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I might be mistaken, But i think i can rember people saying that they had tranny problems once they flushed thier tranny. But dont rember who maybe jaketuff? then again i could be thinkin bout something else

The only reason a tranny would have problems after a full flush would be if the tranny was so worn out and the oil was so thick with debris that without the thick fluild it wouldn't work. If your tranny is that bad, you got problems beyond what might happen if you get fresh fuild in there.

2002AmSE
09-10-2004, 05:12 PM

The only reason a tranny would have problems after a full flush would be if the tranny was so worn out and the oil was so thick with debris that without the thick fluild it wouldn't work. If your tranny is that bad, you got problems beyond what might happen if you get fresh fuild in there.

There are two common believed reasons for why the transmission fails after a flush:

1. Since the transmission pan doesnt get removed and filter replaced, all of the detergents that are present in the new fluid clean the old junk out and the filter gets clogged from it since it should be replaced with a fluid swap anyway.

2. The old fluid has particles that help create friction and the friction cannot be created in the same way with the new fluid so it burns the clutches up when it shifts because of the slippage from not having the grit.

I would think that if the filter was clogged, you would be able to tell by having the symptoms of having low fluid, and if the friction wasnt there because of a no-grit situation then you would feel slippage until the transmission fails.