Refresh yourself on the forum guidelines [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Refresh yourself on the forum guidelines

Ryan
09-07-2004, 01:47 PM
All,

It seems things have started to get a little "loose" around here.

Although we try and allow a lot of freedom here...we do enforce the rules a little more than most forums because we want to keep this place the same as it has always been.

There has been an addition to the forum guidelines (#14) that will begin to be enforced today. We have been faced legal threats in the past and the moderators have had to work much to hard to clear up issues dealing with this. Please understand that we reach out to all Grand Am owners but just have had too many problems on this issue.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum_guidelines.html

Thanks,

--Ryan

zx7ninja
09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Wow. I don't know what else to say.

While I understand wholly, and most definitely will comply, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Guru and Guru2, I have a couple of questions about the new policy, and I hope it's ok to ask. If not, please feel free to delete. I could ask in pm, but i feel that the answers to the questions may benefit all, as i'm sure many have the same questions.
I hope that I ask in a way that does not require disciplinary action, as that is the very last thing I want.

Ok. So here goes;

Is literally anything and everything related to the afore mentioned company taboo?
Say for instance I am looking for/selling a body part. Am I not allowed to post a for sale/want ad?

Or say I want to post a pic of my car, when fiinished, and I happen to have a wing from said company. Am I never allowed to post pics of my car, as I have patroned them in the past as a customer?

And many many similar questions come to mind.

Please understand, my intention in asking is not to cause trouble, but only to clarify this rule. As I said before, no matter what, I will comply with said rule, as should we all. After all, a rule is a rule.
I love this place, and have since I first joined about 4 years ago.

I will admit though, that I feel very restricted. Kind of like I have to have products on my car that are "approved" by the community. As if I can't spend my money elsewhere, or i will get looked down upon, or worse, rejected. After all, shouldn't it be my choice?

Not that I would, mind you, but it should still be my choice.

Sirs, you have a great forum here, no matter what. I look forward to whatever the future holds for our community here at GrandAmGT.com

mr_eh
09-07-2004, 02:19 PM
i dont think it disallows you from posting pictures of your car with said products... just the backlack of ignorance against said products in the thread will be delt with swiftly i guess... its not that the community has to approve of your purchases, its just some unruley people are causing a problem, but thats just my take on it and i could be wrong

Ryan
09-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I hope that I ask in a way that does not require disciplinary action, as that is the very last thing I want.

Feel free to ask questions, all we are here to do is to provide a forum for Grand Am discussion and also some good general discussions.

Is literally anything and everything related to the afore mentioned company taboo?
Say for instance I am looking for/selling a body part. Am I not allowed to post a for sale/want ad?

Yes and yes. If you want to sell a body part go to their site.

Or say I want to post a pic of my car, when fiinished, and I happen to have a wing from said company. Am I never allowed to post pics of my car, as I have patroned them in the past as a customer?

Yes. We (as well as many other sites) have recieved complaints that pictures of kits or even kits that look similar to theirs are infringing on their copyright holdings. Again, if we are told to take images down (which we have in the past in a blanket statement) we will. So we are just not allowing them. Until we hear otherwise we are sticking to this rule

I love this place, and have since I first joined about 4 years ago.

Thanks! Trust me, we've enjoyed having you around as well as all of our members.

I will admit though, that I feel very restricted. Kind of like I have to have products on my car that are "approved" by the community. As if I can't spend my money elsewhere, or i will get looked down upon, or worse, rejected. After all, shouldn't it be my choice?

Let me set the record straight. We are only protecting copyright laws as have been defined to us. We have always allowed discussion on ANY products as long as people aren't trying to sell productes on the site that compete with a sponsor (obviously). Any other discussion about any other product is welcomed.

We have just had too many problems with *** discussions to allow it anymore. Claims that *** images (even when the kits are paid for and on users cars) are copyright of *** have forced us to make this rule. Unless we are told otherwise (by formal legal document stateing we are clear of any legal claims by allowing images to be posted - we had to get the same document from GM before we made the calander last year) we will not allow images.

From this point forward, though, all product discussion for or against *** will not be allowed. There have been too many Pro-***/Anti-GAGT.com and also Anti-***/Pro-GAGT.com discussions. It is a moot topic and all discussions will be deleted. Also, any *** reviews will be deleted because of risk of libel or slander directed at the owners of the site (Jeremy and myself).

Not that I would, mind you, but it should still be my choice.

As we think it should be ours with what we allow on our site. Guess that's not how the world works though :-/

Hope this clears thing up.

Thanks for the questions!

02andahalfgt
09-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Wow that's really sad that one individual would take things to such a level. We're all here to discuss and show off our cars and when a company feels that just because someone bought their product they now own a piece of someone else's car and right to be proud of it and show it off, well there's just something very wrong about that. What's this world coming to?

I know not everyone joining actually reads everything in the guidelines. I hope there's some way you guys can make sure that all newbies are forced to see this rule so that mods are always editing/deleting the same quesions/posts about that company.

Hopefully this issue will not overshadow an otherwise great website and you guys won't be further hassled over petty things. Keep up the great work!

Ryan
09-07-2004, 07:25 PM
I know not everyone joining actually reads everything in the guidelines. I hope there's some way you guys can make sure that all newbies are forced to see this rule so that mods are always editing/deleting the same quesions/posts about that company.

We used to have it in the argree/disagree area when you registered....I don't think anybody ever read it.

Ryan
09-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Note:

If you have a problem with the changes here...www.aedcentral.com has reopened their registration (registration has always been open here to anyone). We invite anyone to join any Grandam site as we always have. We have a great relationship with www.gaownersclub.com, www.aleromod.com and www.n-body.net.

We wish we could have the same with aedcentral but there seems to be a barrier that most will never overcome.

Also, please read http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=1445. This is what the guidelines we have implemented are based on. We have held off implementing such a stance due to the overwhelming number of *** owners that frequent our site (and we have enjoyed having *most*). Due to recent events, though, we decided to implent the same plan.

Apperantly (by reading the thread topics over at their forum -- I can't read content as I have no access) the leaders over there see this as a personal attack. They can see it any way they want...it's just come to the point where we had to lay down a line for the sake of the members here that want to talk about cars and not "the feud". We hope most understand our frustration in the matter.

Finally, we've never claimed to be "talented". We used the "guru" name early on for fun -- the names continue because is would be stupid to change them at this point (it's our handle so to speak). To be honest my name should be "TrailblazerGuy". Sure our heads get a little big sometimes (around GAP they get a little bigger -- but after investing a great deal of time into planning the event we kind of earned it) but our wives are always there to pop the balloon and bring us back to earth. At most we provide a service to those who wish to use it. We are non-profit and any "excess" money we've ever had has been used to improve the site or given to charity (GAP donations to Make-A-Wish).

Sure we personally "added fuel to the fire" at times. But who wouldn't when something that you've worked on for free is being tarished by a group of people. It's gone back and forth long enough and this seems the only way to stop it.

We hope everyone understands and can deal with the guidelines we have put into place.

Thanks,

Ryan

luniz
09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I totally agree with this new implementation. There comes a time where one realizes that some people won't get along. Whether it be our site, their site, or a contribution of both, this new system should stop a lot of flame wars on both sides...

02andahalfgt
09-07-2004, 07:47 PM
this new system should stop a lot of flame wars on both sides...

Well it will here at least, we're adults ;)

Ryan
09-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Well it will here at least, we're adults ;)

There's immaturity on both sides...but I just think the sites will never get along -- we never have even since the site was gapower.net/com

tido_29
09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
what if the avatar is my car? I have removed the avatar but it was just a pic of the front of my car with the *** bumper on. I think this should be okay :scream:

I never have (or will) engage in the bashing or boasting of *** products. But i dont understand how having my avatar (my car) be that bad. Its not like i am promoting ***. I am just showing off my car, just like everyone does when they post pics in the picture section.

I have been a member of these boards for a while now, and have yet to cause any drama on here. :violin

Ryan
09-08-2004, 06:26 PM
what if the avatar is my car? I have removed the avatar but it was just a pic of the front of my car with the *** bumper on. I think this should be okay :scream:

We asked the same question a few months ago and were faced with "copyright and traderess infringement" legal jargon. We debated the issue internally for a while and decided that this was the safest course of action for us.

tido_29
09-08-2004, 06:34 PM
oh didnt know *** said that it was.. :( oh well.. its like i cant show off my car on here becuase i have certain items. :(

Molson
09-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Yep, thats pretty well it. But thats the way its gotta be now. You are welcome to show it off at aedcentral.com or any other GA site.

UNCTYPE-S
09-08-2004, 07:24 PM
well im sure this was carefully thought out, but i am suprised and kind of upset (even though i dont have my ga anymore) that the members of this forum with certain parts have to go onto another forum to show.

i know this is a huge headache for the guru's but their has to be some kind of settlement made between us and them.

i just dont understand why people from here can join their site, but cant show pics here.

lightningGA
09-08-2004, 07:29 PM
well im sure this was carefully thought out, but i am suprised and kind of upset (even though i dont have my ga anymore) that the members of this forum with certain parts have to go onto another forum to show.

i know this is a huge headache for the guru's but their has to be some kind of settlement made between us and them.

i just dont understand why people from here can join their site, but cant show pics here.

exactly *iagree*

erimar77
09-08-2004, 08:03 PM
So, if you buy an AD kit, are you allowed to drive your car? People on the street might see it.

This has to be the worst thing ever for their sales. If I were a company owner, I would not pick on my customers, but rather any imitating or copying companies.

Molson
09-08-2004, 08:19 PM
So, if you buy an AD kit, are you allowed to drive your car? People on the street might see it.

This has to be the worst thing ever for their sales. If I were a company owner, I would not pick on my customers, but rather any imitating or copying companies.
I don't know if you have followed this over the last year or so, but it has been attempted to calmly discuss the matter, but yet discussions have failed, this is what is has come down to. It has been done at Aleromod.com for a year now and is working fine. Unfortunatly that is the way it is here now.

UNC, its the attitudes of some people that have ruined it for the rest, you can thank them.

Ryan
09-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Ok....I think we've discussed the topic enough. What's done is done.

If you have questions or concern please PM or email an admin or moderator.

Also, we've noticed that some are treating this as a joke and are bypassing the censor with spacing and special characters. We've adding a warning to the warning system to deal with this.

Again, if you have a problem with the new rule please visit www.aedcentral.com. Their forum has all the body kit information you wish to discuss as well as other topics. We have banned discussion, reviews and promotion of the body kit for a reason - it only causes problems here.