window gets stuck with tint [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : window gets stuck with tint

AznGA
09-07-2004, 06:36 PM
I recently got rear tint, but I have a problem with one window. It goes down, but when I roll it up, it gets stuck. The gutter at the buttom of the window that keeps debris off tries to come up with the window as I roll it up. Has anyone had this problem?

xxbackhillxx
09-07-2004, 06:43 PM
spray windex or glass cleaner and try to pry that piece up in its original position and then roll the window down slowly adding glass cleaner as you roll it down.

Mike Jung
09-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes, when I had my windows tinted; I had this problem.
They had to re-tint 3 of the door windows again because of it. It scatched the hell out of the tint when rolling up with the weather stripping flipped down.

I would take it back to the window tinter's place.
They have a very slim stick that they can use to flip the weather strip back up to it's proper position.
After they re-tinted my windows again; they made sure the window weather stripping was flipped back up to it's proper position.

If you try to get the window up yourself; you might scratch the hell of the tint, place excessive strain on the power window motor, get the window to come off it's track, etc...

In my case (stupid me) after a week of setting/curing the window tint, tried to roll down for the 1st time all 4-windows afterwork (& after the window tint place closed) in the summer heat to cool off the car that has been parked all-day outside.
3-windows got stuck down :rage:
I get home & it starts to rain :mad:
So I get front 2-windows up by flipping the felt up & the 3rd window in the rear was a real pain because the window is not all the way in the door. So I scratched to **** the window tint & a line scratched on the outside of the window when the window came off it's track.

Cover the window up with a garbage bag, that won't go up & return to the window tint place to get it 'fixed'; would be my advise.

AznGA
09-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Weatherstripping is the word. Thank you.
This makes sense. When the guy applied the tint inside, he probably pushed the stripping down too far.

Apollyon9515
09-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I had the same prob what i had to do was, roll it down all the way and try to seperate or bend the gap where the window comes up, and it worked good. Hit me up on msn if u cant get it.

action
09-09-2004, 04:31 AM
Good tinters around here take the door panels off to insure a nice job and prevent this crap from happening.

AznGA
09-09-2004, 05:48 AM
I took my car back and the guy used some kind of a small hook to pull up the strip. It works fine now.

wushdishmeen
06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmm just got my windows tinted 5 days ago...same problem. i thought it was because i didnt wait long enough...but the sticker said 3-5 days...on the 5th day i tried opening them, the front driver side window would start to go down the wrong way and seemed like it would go off the track, the other windows would go down then struggle to go back up...when i looked id see the weather stripping pushed up in spots...and i thought it was supposed to be pushed down, but now that iread this it kinda makes sense...gonna go try to fix it

UPDATE: yup...good thing i read this forum. Took a wire hanger and make a hook like shape with it and pushed it under the rubber and pulled gently and then slided it across and the entire thing flipped up...did it for all windows and they all work awesome now..didnt scratch anything either. just be careful...

dumbass tinters...couldnt fix that meanwhile they took 3 hours to do the tinting and i fixed the rubber in 5 mintues flat on all windows..

spray windex or glass cleaner and try to pry that piece up in its original position

Do not use windex or any alcohol based cleaner on tinted windows EVER!! itll turn the tint purple...also dont smoke to many cigarettes in the car either because the nicotine is said to turn the tint purple as well. To clean tinted windows use a nice mixture of soap and water..use a very gentle soap and wipe the window clean then dry it with a dry cloth

xxbackhillxx
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
if it turns your tint purple ... you obviously got some cheap sh1t. I've had my windows tinted for 3+ years. I've never cleaned them with anything but windex and I've yet to have any problems.

edit: 3 hours? wow. My guy did it in maybe 45 minutes. Whoever you went to is an idiot with cheap product. Way to go :thumbs:

Kdawg207
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
this issue - common on the GA

Windex - I agree with Tom.
I have had 6 cars with tint all around - windex'd every damn one of em. Hell we use windex to clean up after a tint job back in my poverty stricken days of workin with cars before I needed money
Buy cheap sh1t - get whats commin

wushdishmeen
06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
lol i bought the highest grade and it has a lifetime warranty...i didnt say it happens thats just what ive heard that its not smart to use windex because it has alcohol in it.

oh well, the tints are awesome..theyre not cheap

Gizm0815
06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
its not alcohal that turns it purple its amonia that turns it purple just read the bottle and most will say if its safe on tinted windows.