Brakes still creaking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brakes still creaking

VaGT
09-08-2004, 07:23 AM
I had my Sister in law's long time boyfriend (GM certified tech) look at my creaking brakes this past weekend when I was in Pa. He took them apart, lubbed up the pins (as he did 20K ago when he changed the rotors / pads), used some spray adhesive on the back of the pads, lubbed some of the contacts on the metal clips the pads snap into, etc.

The noise is still there.

The only thing he noticed wrong when he had them apart was that one of the drivers side pads moved about 1/8th inch back and forth (along the rotor) in the clip. Unfortunately, we didn't have a new clip at the time to replace it, and just cleaned up the old a little bit. However, I don't think this has anything to do with the creaking noise.

What else can be done?

Slim
09-08-2004, 07:30 AM
When he lubed the slides, did he clean them off first? I noticed when I looked at my slides, they were slightly corroded and rough. I cleaned them off with a bit of 600 grit sandpaper, then lubed them up. So far, no noise.

VaGT
09-08-2004, 08:09 AM
They were cleaned off... not sanded though. There was also plenty of lube left on them from the last time.

dsk727
09-08-2004, 08:57 AM
that sucks... I know mine were making funny noises and I got new rotors and pads and the noise was still there, turns out it was the TSB on the tires making the noise.. but now the brakes are back to squeaking.. I think I need new pads again. Good luck I hope you find the cause :)

brsexton
09-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Mine were creaking also. Turns out it was the little clip that is in the top of the caliper that pushes down on the pads once you pivot the caliper back down. Its not the little metal clips that hold the pads in place. I took those out and put lube on all over it and then installed it. No creaking since.

PS: What brand of pads and rotors did your sisters boyfriend use when he done your brakes last? 20K sounds like a dream to me for my brakes. Mine warp all the time and don't last.

mr_eh
09-08-2004, 04:16 PM
new brakes are allowed to squeak, i got mien replaced 2 times in 3 months because i was convinced they shouldn't, end result = no more squeaking *shrug*, so the moral of the story is to bitch and moan till you get your way

AznGA
09-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Midas replaced my front pads. After going back twice for this problem, they put "ceramic" pads and noise is gone.