Idle Headache [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idle Headache

Scorpio Sting
09-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey guyz, new to the board here. Looks very informative. Read over a few threads that helped already.

My current problem is that my idle is really rough, but yet I don't have any acceleration or driving problems. I recently changed the plugs and wires (with AC Delco), and they all seem ok. Should I have a compression test done? It seems to go away when the A/C is on and idle goes up a little, which is why I don't think the compression test would help. Also cleaned out the Intake Air Valve and Throttle Body, but didn't help.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

dxtreme_85
09-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the boards...as a rule of thumb...the search button is your new best friend.

As for the idle problem, try having your injectors cleaned. Now..I don't mean buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and put that in your tank, that stuff is near useless; instead, go to your local mechanic and ask him to do a pressurized fuel injector clean. Sometimes, them will just shoot the stuff through the system under pressure, and other times, they will just disconnect the fuel pump relay and let the car run off a can of concentrated fuel injector cleaner. This would be the first place to start. You might just have carbon buildups all over the throttle plate not letting sufficient amounts of air into the car during idle. Hope all of this helps, and once again, welcome to the boards!!

Terry

Scorpio Sting
09-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Fuel Injectors have also been cleaned...sorry, forgot to mention that.

dxtreme_85
09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Try taking the intake system apart and looking at the throttle body. Check the PCV valve. stuff like that. I could be wrong, but a guess would be what i mentioned about the throttle plate being gunked up w/ carbon deposits.