transmission issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission issues

ho99gagt
09-09-2004, 06:18 AM
okay..i just bought a 99 grand am GT...had it for about 2 months and its starting to make a grinding noise and shake and throw up a low trac light when i put it in reverse and back up. sometimes when im cruisin about 40 and back off and touch the throttle again pretty firm it feels like something is slipping and sometimes when i start out it slips and says low trac but i am not spinning. tranny fluid was checked and topped off and it is still under warranty. I dont know if i can trust the seller so i wanted a second opinion before it goes under the knife. thanks all.

dxtreme_85
09-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Somebody else can chime in, but I remember reading something about wheel sensors, or wheel bearings or something, that when they go bad, that they turn on the low trac light or something like that. Best bet it to take it to a tranny place. Most extended warranties are national, which means you can just about take it anywhere. So if you have an extended warranty, I would try taking it to the best tranny shop around your area.

I had problems with mine, and it ended up being the torque converter and a fried driveshaft gear. The gear was totally stripped.

atc3434
09-09-2004, 10:24 AM
A wheel speed sensor going bad will make all sorts of funny things happen with the powertrain. Excessive Low Trac lights are probably indicating that you've got a wheel speed sensor taking a dump. Unfortunatly, they are an intergrated part of the hub, so you'll have to replace the whole thing. Don't buy a cheap replacement either... I had a lowend hub assembly come bad straight from the factory. The good stuff is the way to go, IMO. I would solve your Low Trac Problems first, and see if you've still got tranny issues after that.

dxtreme_85
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks ATC...I thought it was a speed sensor, but I couldn't remember what I had read.