Repairing Hard Plastic Trim [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Hard Plastic Trim

Infernall
09-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Hey guys,

I am trying to repair a plastic trim piece from my GA. I am trying to find out what the best glues would be to fix the part.

The trim in question is the 3' long plastic trim covering that goes over the bottom latch of the trunk. This trim holds down the carpet, and looks a lot nicer than bare metal.

This piece of trim is held into the steel frame of the trunk by 4 tabs on the bottom which sit in metal clips in the steel. When I bought my car in March, this trim had already been broken. I have all of the clips and broken tabs.

What would be the best way to glue the plastic tabs back to the trim piece? I have tried cheap plastic cement, which did not work out, as the repair broke when I tried to re-install the trim.

Should I be sanding (roughing) the edges to be glued? What kind of glue?

The replacement part is $45 Cdn after taxes locally, but if I can fix it for a few bucks, I would be very happy.

action
09-10-2004, 05:32 AM
There's a super glue available for plastic that comes with a primer fluid you apply with a brush first, then use the glue like all other super glues. THis stuff works well.

Love my GT
09-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Maybe you could try looking in a salvage yard for this part.

Infernall
09-10-2004, 06:15 AM
There's a super glue available for plastic that comes with a primer fluid you apply with a brush first, then use the glue like all other super glues. THis stuff works well.

Don't suppose you could tell me where to find this glue?

action
09-10-2004, 06:52 AM
I get it at canadian tire, hardware dept, Lepage and Mastercraft makes it. Found where masking tape and other super glues are.

Infernall
09-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks. I'll pick some up later and give it a try.