Horn Not Working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn Not Working

Silverbird
09-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Hi,
My 1996 Grand Am GT has a problem with the horn not working. It worked for awhile and then quit. Found the relay under the dash and replaced it. The fuse is good. When you press on the horn pad........Nothing! Not even a click from the new relay. This has got me worried. Anyone have an idea what to look for next?
I need to get this fixxed.
Inspection comes up in a month!

Thanks! Steve

the_lzrdkng
09-11-2004, 05:25 PM
'horn not working, watch for finger' i used to have an 85 ford ltd (midsize) and the horn kept going off without me pressing on it so we had it disconnected. didn't do anything about it until somebody backed into me but it was 100% his fault and wrote it off. now i have the grand am. i'm not too sure about your horn issue, because mine was the complete opposite.

juanvan
09-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Test the horn first make sure it works...
Then get a book for the car, and check horn switch by reading with an ohm meter
2 wires off the steering colum horn pressed with give you a beep, no press no beep...
This will tell you if the switch is working...

If both test ok then your problem is inbetween the 2 places ~ fuses, relays, or maybe a bigger piece...

AleroME
09-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Time to upgrade to an air horn!.. I did when my low note horn blew and only the gay high pitch horn was lefted.

Silverbird
09-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the replies! I went down to the library and found a copy of the horn wiring diagram. I have to get a test light to diagnose where the problem is.
It looks as if the wires from the horn pad go through the SIR coil to a contact plate behind it. Here is where it confuses me...................does the wire contact go through the headlight/turn signal/hazard/cruise control unit??? I have never seen anything like this ever before!! If that's the case, this way of wiring a horn seems to have way too many weak links in it. Way to many bad/loose or corroded connections. Someone please correct me if mistaken about the way the circuits are run. Thanks!! Steve

juanvan
09-12-2004, 06:54 PM
It should go to the cruse/turn switch then run to the end of the steering colum.
It should not go threw the SIR coil, other then being under it.
In my 92 bonnie the SIR ran its own 2 yellow wires to the bottom of the collum ~ assuming yours would be the same.

If you realy want to trouble shoot this yourself ~ invest in Factory manuals
usually 2 to 4 depending on the model
the 92 bonnie had 3
the 90 surban has 4
the 89/86 caddie has 3
the 95 auro only has 2
those are some of the manuals... Have to take care of a small fleet for the family lol 13 cars between 5 people ~ alot of back ups hehe
g/l